Author Topic: Anyone Own A Kahr PM9?  (Read 6094 times)

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
Anyone Own A Kahr PM9?
« on: July 30, 2009, 07:09:44 PM »
Does anyone here who owns a R9 also own a Kahr PM9?

I would be interested in how the Kahr stacks up against the Pup as an EDC.  Here's why I'm asking:

I carry every time I leave the house.  Front pocket strong side or sometimes a bellyband around my waist, OUTSIDE my pants but under an untucked shirt.  (Polo, T-shirt or a loose tropical type button-up)

My choice of carry was always the pup or my Seecamp.  (If the Seecamp ALWAYS in the pocket, if the pup either in the pocket or the above mentioned bellyband)  But, that was before I picked up my Ruger LCP with Crimson Laser.

Now I almost always find myself picking up the little LCP and sticking it in my pocket.  Primarily because I LOVE the Crimson Trace.

Now I know the arguments both pro and con on the laser on a small up-close-and-personal pistol.  In fact I made a strong argument against lasers on the LCP forum before I purchased mine and tried one.  Now, for me, it's by far the best way to go.  (Several reasons)

Sorry for the ramble.  Back to my original question.  Crimson Trace offers a product for the PM9 and, as we all know and some of us lament, do not (yet) offer one for the pup.  I would definitly feel better carrying the extra firepower of 9mm vs. the .380. (Hey! I don't want to get into a whole other discussion about that now.  :D )

So, knowing that the Kahr is a bit heaver and a bit larger than the pup how do those of you who have both think they compare as an EDC?  
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline Dino

• Master
Re: Anyone Own A Kahr PM9?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 06:26:07 PM »
Quiet1, I do not own a PM9 but have shot one often.  A good friend of mine has one and I almost bought one before my R9S.

I love eveything about the PM9 except for the fact that is was ugly.  However it shoots better than my R9S and never had a FTF like my R9S.  

Hate to admit it but, sometimes when my R9S hic-cups I still think of trading it for the PM9.

Check the web like I have and you will hear the same, you can't go wrong.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 06:56:52 PM »
Quiet1.  Check out the Black Rose Edition of the PM9.  It's really sharp.

http://www.kahr.com/dtl_upgrade.html
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 06:18:56 PM »
Quiet1, I do not own a PM9 but have shot one often.  A good friend of mine has one and I almost bought one before my R9S. - - - - Snip - - - -  
Dino, Thanks for the info and the suggestion to scope out the Kahr forum.

kjtrains,  Thanks for the link to the "Black Rose Edition".  That highly polished, engraved slide really does Purdy-Up the little guy.  :)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 10:27:31 PM »

I have both the R9 and PM9.  I have no failures to feed in either with the ammo I use.  The R9 is more accurate for me.  You do feel the recoil a little more in the R9.  You can use +P in the PM9 is desired since you can't in the R9 - it you do the recoil is smarter with +P in the PM9.

My PM9 has night sights that are nice - a $100 extra.

The R9 is more carry friendly being smaller.  If not carrying my R9 I have a Seecamp in a back pocket holster.  The R9 is the Seecamp of 9mm guns.  It is a piece of art.

The PM9 is many times the gun I throw in the vehicle glove compartment.  Being larger, and uglier, I figure it looks more intimidating if I have to pull something while in my truck or Jeep.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 10:36:50 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 12:53:20 AM »
I just bought a Kahr PM40 from a guy on another forum, it will probably be a week or so before I get it, need to send him a money order and wait for him to ship to my FFL.
John
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:54:05 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 06:48:29 PM »
I have both the R9 and PM9.   - - - Snip - - -
The R9 is more carry friendly being smaller.  If not carrying my R9 I have a Seecamp in a back pocket holster.  The R9 is the Seecamp of 9mm guns.  It is a piece of art. - - - Snip - - -
Thanks MountainMan.  

For me, the most important element in the comparison equation is the "carry friendly"

After reading your comments and others I found on other forums I've decided to stay with the R9s and forgo the Crimson Trace laser.  The R9 is just about max for me for a COMFORTABLE pocket carry piece.

I'll continue hoping that some day Crimson Trace will offer a product for our R9's.  I doubt it will ever happen but I  continue to go to their website and suggest that they do.  :)

Meanwhile, everytime I go out, I continue to find myself slipping the little LCP with it's CT laser into my pocket and leaving my Seecamp and Rohrbaugh on my closet shelf.   :(

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 06:52:52 PM »
I just bought a Kahr PM40 from a guy on another forum, it will probably be a week or so before I get it, need to send him a money order and wait for him to ship to my FFL.
John
John,

Congratulations on your new acquisition!  Let us all know how you like it after you've received it and had a chance to get it out to the range.

Regards, Quiet1

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »
John

John.  Hope you like the PM40.  Don't know anything about that one, but enjoy.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:14:14 PM »

John.  Hope you like the PM40.  Don't know anything about that one, but enjoy.

I hope I like it too, but the price was very good
($510 shipped) and it is New and Unfired. I guess I can always sell it and probably get more than I paid.  I have not had a .40 cal before and am looking forward to shooting this lightweight (17.7oz w/mag) boomer. I will let you know what I think after it arrives and I take it out back and empty a couple of mags.
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 11:53:52 PM »
You did get a good buy.  I looked them up on Gun Broker as I'm sure you have, and saw 626 to 699, new.  One may have had night sights.

Offline jimmy_55

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 08:53:59 PM »
You do know that Rohrbaugh does have a laser for the R9. I've had one for about 2 weeks now and I love it. You don't need a holster for pocket carry. Check out the Rohrbaugh website.
Jimmy55

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:04:35 AM »
Glad you are happy with the pocket slipper, the look of it mounted on the R9 just doesn't work for me.
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 08:47:46 AM »
You do know that Rohrbaugh does have a laser for the R9. I've had one for about 2 weeks now and I love it. You don't need a holster for pocket carry. Check out the Rohrbaugh website.

jimmy.  I'm glad you like it, but don't care for the look either.  No offense, but we just all have different likes.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 11:10:50 AM »
To each his own, and I am not trying to "pile on," but... I am not comfortable using a pocket slipper and no holster.

A pocket holster serves several functions:

-keeps the gun stable and upright for ease of draw
-disguises the shape
-protects the finish of the gun
-keeps lint out of the barrel and action (to some degree)
-protects the trigger

The Pocket Slipper does a good job on the first two, but does nothing for the last three -- including the most important -- protecting the trigger.

While safety issues can be minimized by keeping the pocket empty, etc. -- I just don't feel comfortable that way.

I love Crimson Trace lasers, both the Lasergrips and Laserguard.  Unfortunately, the number of Rohrbaugh's sold will never justify the engineering costs for CT to do a laser for our guns.

Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:13:15 AM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com