Author Topic: Cleaner/ lubricant/ preservative  (Read 6202 times)

Offline johnny

• Master
Cleaner/ lubricant/ preservative
« on: April 24, 2016, 07:18:11 PM »
    There is a wide assortment of cleaner/lubricants out there for handguns.
     Any really good ones?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Cleaner/ lubricant/ preservative
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:32:20 PM »
I have heard good things about Weapon Shield oil/CLP but haven't tried it yet:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2756220438/steel-shield-weapon-shield-gun-oil-liquid

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 07:07:30 AM »
 Thanks Tracker!Have a good week.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:17:16 AM »
This article might give you some insight.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:37:25 AM »
As mentioned in this article I have been using Corrosion X for several years and think very highly of it as a rust remover and preventive. I can't speak to its lubrication properties.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 07:39:52 PM »
     I read a lot and I read a lot of gun books.Mostly on 1911's,and Glocks.
I just finished reading "Glock Reference Guide",by Robb Manning.Near the end of the book he suggests to stay away from Hoppe's #9 cleaning solvent on Glocks because it is nitrate-based and it's not good for the nickel plating.Now I have had lots of Glocks and that is basically what I have always used,and a Glock being a Glock,never had a problem.He did speak highly of CLP.
     When I bought a Knight Hawk a couple years ago a spray bottle of something called Gibbs came with it.It is almost gone but I like the idea of using just one thing for cleaning,lubing,and preserving.
       Thank you for the feedback on this subject.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 08:07:07 PM »
I ordered some Weapon Shield today and will give you my anecdotal take on it in a few weeks.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 12:23:43 AM »
Since I started shooting trap with an old Marlin Model 90 o/u, I've been around a lot of people who are
anything but shy regarding the lubrication and protection of their shotguns.  Lots of those folks that I've
met are using something called "Blu."  It's available in several forms...some very portable and spill proof for
talking to the range and actually has what my wife and I consider a pleasant odor for a gun product.
If it's good enough to put on a 30-50K shotgun...not mine....it's probably OK for most other firearms, too.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 09:44:44 AM »
I use EEZOX on all of my pistols and find it works great.  It is recommended by Larry
Seecamp and was used in desert storm because it cleans, protects, and dries as a lubricant powder that doen't collect sand/dust.  It smells good.  Downside is that for best use, you should leave the pistol disassembled overnight to let the EEZOX dry before reassembly.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 10:43:40 AM »
  Thanks for all the info here!!!!!!!!!!! it has been helpful.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 10:49:25 AM »
 And I see Amazon has them both.
  Only a Walmart here.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 10:02:15 AM »
Frog Lube and Ballistol are my preferred products.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 05:42:23 PM »
  I ordered a bottle of Weapon Shield last week and used it on 2 of my Glocks,the R9,and tonight my Ruger LCR 9mm.
            A side note.I am not totally happy with the reliability,or lack there of,of my new Ruger.I sent it back shortly after I bought it.I don't think the problem is taken care of.It might be the Winchester white box.What seems to happen is,it does not strike the primer hard enough on maybe one out of 20 rounds.I do have around 300 9mm's of a different brand that I am going to try.
       I took one of the bad rounds and mixed it in with a mag of my 43.same thing. Didn't fire. It is the only gun that seems to be causing trouble.The rohrbaugh,and the glock no issues.So that's that.

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 06:47:43 PM »
I use Froglube paste on my Rohrbaugh. I like that it is very rust preventing, and that by being dry, it doesn't collect pocket particulate. I have read some reviews of it not doing well after being stored for long periods, but I  usually disassemble, clean, and reapply once a month.

I disassemble the gun, wipe everything down with a cotton cloth an q-tips, and then heat everything up with a hair dryer. Then cover all the metal surfaces, inside and out, with the Froglube. It melts like wax when applied to a hot surface. I then let the parts cool off, wipe off the excess, and reassemble.

Froglube makes cleaning after shooting easier, too. It seems to keep the burnt powder from sticking.
It also shines the outside of the gun nicely.

Also, it is non toxic, smells like mint, and doesn't bother my skin.

Did I say I like it?
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 10:47:05 AM »
   The Weapon Shield seems to be working fine.Thanks Tracker.
      The Frog Lube I will probably look into also,seeing that as of yesterday I added to my collection of firearms.
        I have been  wanting to get a 243 because my grand sons are getting to the point where I can take them out individually to our gun club and shoot.They usually come "up north",a common Wisconsin term here,individually for a week or so.And I chose a 243 because of the low recoil.I bought it new from a small family run bow and gun shop.I went with a Tikka short stock bolt action.Don't really know much about them but I like giving this guy my business,as apposed to Walmart down the street.They get enough of my business.