Author Topic: New member, question about ejection  (Read 3622 times)

Offline waterburybob

New member, question about ejection
« on: September 05, 2005, 04:29:05 PM »
Hi, everyone; new member here.

I've had my R9s for a while, but just recently got out to shoot it.  Using two different brands of 124 gr FMJ ammo, I had a lot (at least one per mag) of failures to eject.  The shell would be sitting most of the way out of the chamber, wedged in by the round below.

Can anyone give me some tips ?
I did not strip and lube the new gun prior to going to the range.
Do you think it is the ammo ?  Should I have lubed it first ?
Any other ideas ?

I really like the gun and want it to be reliable.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: New member, question about ejection
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 06:29:58 PM »
Bob - welcome to you:)

Sorry to hear about your issues.  You didn't say which brands of FMJ and seems some will always do better than others.  I have the thought that OAL is one of the factors that can make the pup ''picky''.

Be interesting if you can to lay down a few rounds of SD as well - ideally GD's in 115 or 124 flavor - just to see, because in the guns I have, GD's are the food of choice.

Lube should not be an issue - Eric lubes these thoroughly before they go out.

I am wondering right now if this is due to inadquate break-in - as IMO as the recoil spring gets it's main ''set'' then things relax just a tad - that then possibly easing the slide's motion and better ejecting the empty.

How many shot so far?  If not too many - go shoot some more and, do a 50 round field strip and clean and relube.

If after 100 - 150 rounds same thing occurs and with other ammo too - then just maybe something is amiss.  May be too early to tell from out the box.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 06:31:17 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline waterburybob

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 07:06:15 PM »
I shot 100 rounds in that first range session with the intent of breaking in the gun.   The first 50 were Georgia Arms, and the other 50 were CCI Blazer Brass.  The hang-ups occurred right from the first magazine, but did occur more frequently toward the end when the gun was dirty.
I'll give it a good cleaning and another 50 rounds before I think about there being a problem with the gun.
It's a low serial number gun - a low 2xx, if that would have any bearing on the matter.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 07:06:47 PM by waterburybob »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 07:25:46 PM »
Hi Bob,

OK so 100 - should have eased things in really.  geogia arms ammo - no idea, never tried it.  CCI Blazers - well have shot a few, I think without probs but really don't remember.

Interesting tho - the CCI Blazer SD ammo - in aluminum cases, in fact uses the Speer GD bullet and performed well for me - OAL on those is generous like the GD's themselves - around 1.124".

Dirty gun could indeed be a factor - I have shot approx 70 as a max before cleaning, never 100.

Low S/N eh - well that I guess would make it a Farmingdale with blue grips - frame?, hmmm .... possibly a grey but could be an early silver?

My first R9 is 32x - no prefix - so later than yours it seems but maybe not much.  My second one is R30x.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline waterburybob

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 09:42:05 PM »
Yes, blue grips, grey frame.  I should note that my range allows only 5 rounds in a magazine, so in having at least one jam per mag, thats over 20 for the 100 rounds.  They occurred from the first mag, but they did get worse toward the end.  I hope I don't have to send it in.  Like I said, I'll give it a good cleaning and 50 more rounds first.

Offline JP

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 11:56:10 AM »
Hi Bob,
Your problems sounds similar to what I've experienced in the "break in period". I've now shot about 100 rounds of Federal and PMC FMJ and have the same rate of failure to eject as you. I have gone through the tear down and lube process twice to see if that helps but I still have the problem. My next step is to purchase some of the Gold Dots everyone seems to like, and if I still have the problem I'll have to contact the factory. I'll be interested to know of your continued experiences.

Joe
NRA Patron
SAFR

Offline waterburybob

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 06:40:13 PM »
I just finished cleaning and lubing it.  Hopefully I'll be able to get out to the range again soon to test it.  
Incidently, take-down wasn't too bad.  I  determined that a 3/16" Hex Wrench placed between the breech and the barrel holds the slide back exactly the quarter inch required for the pin to come out. A ready-made take-down tool.
I'll post my results once I try the R9 again.  I'll have to remember to pick up a box of Gold Dots on the way.
l
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 06:40:49 PM by waterburybob »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 06:44:10 PM »
Bob - careful tho using the hex wrench for the opening device.  I doubt it will easily mar the contact areas but - it is hard material and so something softer like brass, aluminum etc (or even my ''famous'' chopstick) is better for long term.

If pushed, it is not difficult to use just the end of a pencil (sharp end) finding area on taper that does the trick!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline waterburybob

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 07:16:35 PM »
You're probably right about using something made of hardened steel.  I'll have to dig up a chopstick like you suggest the next time.  
I really hope I have a better range session the next time out.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 09:27:56 PM »
[size=13]I really hope I have a better range session the next time out.[/size]
Amen to that Bob - do hope so.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline JP

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 07:46:59 PM »
Any further range results Bob?
Since I last posted I've put 60 rounds of 124 grain Speer GD with 100% perfection! Accuracy is also improved, much better than I would have expected. I've read of some posts that claim the recoil a bit stiff but to me this ammo is a joy! I've got a box of 9mm GD bullets,,, can anyone suggest a good handload to duplicate the Speer GD to feed my newfound jones?

NRA Patron
SAFR

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 08:33:36 PM »
JP - did I say Hi yet?  Hi anyways :)

I have scanned a page from Speer #13 to show loads for GD 124 - I have not tried any but this could give you a head start - depending on what powders you like.  Not sure of course what would duplicate factory.

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline JP

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 09:47:49 PM »
Chris,
Thank you for the chart from the Speer manual. One of the reasons for my asking about duplicate loads is that the boxes of 124 gr factory stuff I bought does not list velocity. Checking their web site does list it at 1150 fps though. Looks like good ol' Unique is a good place to start.

Thanks again, Joe
NRA Patron
SAFR

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 10:02:29 PM »
Joe - of course test barrels are invariably longer than R9!  say 6".

May I suggest if you ain't gone yet - slip over to my FAQ site (see in my sig line) and you should find a button taking you to a page of ammo test info - giving velocities.  Bottom buuton.

You'll see that 124 GD's are a tad over 1,000 FPS when chrono'd and so that may help a bit.  The Speer figures will AFAIK be for std pressure rounds and so a load of Unique at say 5.7 could well be real close.

My old fave load for cast 125 RN's in 9mm was VV N340 at 5.5 grains - but as I said not worked up any loads with jacketed.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 09:37:18 PM »
waterburybob and JP,

Welcome to the forum..

I have great confidence in the GD 115s..

They feed great in either of my pups..

I have also shot a bit of the Winchester Silvertips,they seem to have no problems either!! :)

Of course I have shot the WWB without a blip either. :o

Hope all gets straight for you both soon,JP looks like your on the right track. 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe