Author Topic: Blazer CCI Ammo results  (Read 2103 times)

Offline 19950ragtop

Blazer CCI Ammo results
« on: October 29, 2006, 05:00:42 PM »
My new R9 has been a challenge to find ammunition that feeds reliable.

After 358 rounds fired to date, including a trip back to the factory,  I now have a reliable R9 using Blazer CCI 115g JHP and Blazer CCI 115g FMJ.

In general, FMJ ammunition provided a higher feed reliability than JHP.  

Ammunition tested included:
Sellier & Bellot 115g FMJ  feed well (Karl didn't recommend)
SPEER GDHP 147g, did not feed
Speer GDHP 115g, did not feed
Winchester silver tips 147g, did not feed
Winchester silver tips 115g, did not feed about 50%
Winchester 115g JHP, did not feed about 25%
Winchester 115g FMJ, feed at greater than 90% (Walmart value pack special)
Magtech 115g FMJ, did not feed about 25%
Magtech 92.6g SCHP did not feed 25% (based on very small sample)
CCI Blazer 115g FMJ feed greater than 90%
CCI Blazer 115g JHP feed greater than 96% (results may be biased because I started using after 200 rounds were processed through my R9)

Overall observation,  my R9 will not feed 147g ammo.  And it prefers round nose FMJ over JHP.  CCI Blazer ammo was significantly more reliable, with fewer FTF than all other ammo.  

When my R9 was returned to the factory to correct firing pin light taps and FTF, I spoke to Karl Rohrbaugh and he was not surprised at how well the CCI ammo worked in my R9.  Earlier on, Karl used CCI ammo for factory testing with positive results.  However, Blazer using aluminum casings, could not be used for certain states requiring a spent brass sample supplied with the handgun. Thus explaining the change to Winchester 115g defense JHP

My daily carry R9 now has 2 magazines loaded with Speer CCI 115g JHP.

Hope this helps, it appears from reading postings on this forum that your R9 either shoots and feeds like a champ out of the box, or is ammo sensitive, as mine is.

Either way, the journey is worth it, as R9 owners we have the best 9mm for pocket carry.  

Offline CMA

Re: Blazer CCI Ammo results
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 12:09:50 AM »
19950ragtop;

Thank you sir for the tip on Blazers. I have a couple of cases of the FMJs, so I'll try them. I want to see just how many different brands my pups will eat. So far I been lucky, both R9s handle several different brands and types of ammo.

It's good to hear that you found a brand that your pup likes.

Best regards.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
Re: Blazer CCI Ammo results
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 06:30:16 AM »
My R9s has a voracious appetite for the first two rounds it was introduced to, so I have not further experimented. WWB FMJ and GoldDot, both 115 gr., have supplied flawless performance.
ACTA NON VERBA