Author Topic: House-keeping Q's about New Pup...  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Wide_Ride

House-keeping Q's about New Pup...
« on: December 03, 2007, 04:33:40 PM »
After reading my way through a majority of the Forum, I have one question that I can’t seem to resolve (at least in my mind)!!  It all revolves around the removal of the right hand grip, and inspection/maintenance of the trigger mechanism.  So:
-      How often?
-      What do I look for (other than dirt)?
-      Do I lubricate?  If so, What do I Lubricate?  With what… Oil…?
And what is up with the screws?  They sell them on the Rohrbaugh site right next to the recoil springs.  Do they need to be replaced from time to time, or do people just loose them or strip them out that often???  Since I would imagine that the aluminum frame will only withstand just so much screwing in and out before the threads begin to fail, How tight is enough to hold?? (inch pounds of torque)

I know that this is more than one question, (duh) but it all is a pert of the same operation that is loosely brushed upon in the literature that came with my Stealth.
TIA for the help!!

Edwin

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: House-keeping Q's about New Pup...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:15:39 PM »
WR:

1.  I remove my grip panels each time I clean my R9, although it is certainly not necessary to do so. Some owners never remove the grips from their R9s.

2.  After removing the grip panels from my R9, I look for any dirt, pocket lint, dreck, and (as we used to say in training) "scum, Sir."

3.  I spray the frame and internals (including trigger mechanism) of my R9 lightly with Ballistol Multi-Purpose Sportsman's Oil, a general purpose lubricant which I have come to prefer for use with all of my firearms.

http://www.ballistol.com/

After the pistol has been reassembled, I apply a coat of Renaissance Wax to the entire outside surface. (I do this on the theory that if it's good enough for the firearms in the NRA Museum, it's good enough for those in my gunsafe.)

http://www.restorationproduct.com/

4.  I once stripped the head of one of my R9's grip screws using a poor quality hex key. I was finally able to remove the screw without scarring the grip or frame by using a Craftsman damaged-screw remover mounted in a power drill set on slow reverse. Since then, I've kept a supply of extra grip screws on hand and apply only a limited amount of torque when tightening them. I also keep a hex key in my range bag and check the grip screws occasionally during practice sessions. I've followed this practice with my early-issue R9 for nearly four years now and have seen no evidence of thread degradation in the aluminimum frame.

Good luck with your new thoroughbred!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 11:54:27 PM »
I am of the opinion with my carry pup,that I check that the grip screws are not loose-have not been-otherwise I leave that side alone..

Took them off once to acquaint myself with the internal structure(after carrying awhile)and to see if I had any "clingy" things inside(did not)..

Also,Wide_Ride-Welcome to the forum!!

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Wide_Ride

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 08:40:56 AM »
Richard and Brenden,
Thanks for the solid answers and advice!!  This forum and it's members are another reason why I know that I made the best choice when I got my new R9!

Thanks again!
Edwin