Author Topic: Is Hammer resting on firing pin?  (Read 1511 times)

Offline hoserack

• Sharpshooter
  • #R2660
Is Hammer resting on firing pin?
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:07:05 PM »
I shot 70 rounds out of my R9 the other day and while it looks like I need some practice and new contact lens, the gun performed nicely.
It has quite a kick but I expected that for the size.
I'd hate to be in front of the damn thing.  ;D
Anyways while cleaning and reasembly, I noticed it looked like the hammer rest on the firing pin, is this accurate?
If not, what is keeping it from hiting the pin if loaded & 1 in the chamber?
Can the hammer be forced forward firing the gun?
I hope one of you experts can set me straight.
Thanks

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
Re: Is Hammer resting on firing pin?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:45:15 AM »
I hope some one answers this question.  I'd like to know the answer...
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline Ubik380

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:32:20 PM »
The R9 uses an inertial firing pin that isn't long enough to touch the cartridge primer when the hammer is down, but when the hammer is retracted by the trigger and drawbar, the firing pin spring pushes the firing pin rearward so that it can be struck by the hammer. After being struck, the pin's inertia carries it forward to strike the cartridge primer and then the spring returns it rearward to it's rest position against the hammer. Also, the low mass of the firing pin along with the spring pressure prevent the pin from striking the cartridge primer if the pistol is dropped.

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:24:32 PM »
Thank you for that answer.  

Here's another question:

If you held a loaded R9 and stuck the hammer from behind could the firing pin reach the hammer?  

I think the answer, based on what you already posted, is no, but I'd like to be sure.  

Thanks in advance.  
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline dawkind

• Sharpshooter
  • NRA Benefactor and don't EVER give up!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »
The resting hammer is flush with the back of the slide and would not move forward.....only a deliberate and long pull of the trigger will cause this pistol to fire.....the 'safety' is on a persons shoulders.  :)
"I think for myself.....therefore I vote Conservative.....God Bless Ronald Reagan!"

Offline hoserack

• Sharpshooter
  • #R2660
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:37:52 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
After reading I decided to take my pup apart and do some investigating.
I bought a 3/32 pin punch that works perectly removing the barrel pin.
This gun has to be one of the finest I've ever disasembled and reasembled. I followed the directions and took it apart very easily and reasembled on the 1st try with no problems.
I had read threads saying they had problems getting the spring back in. I had none whatsoever. I used the channel locks like showwn and dropped it right in. I don't see why anyone would have a problem?
After disasembly I took my pin punch and pushed the firing pin even with the entry point and the pin didn't poke through the firing side yet. I continued to push slowly and it took a bit of travel for the pin to show through the firing side.
I can see now that it would take quite a bit of energy to push the pin all the way through and hit the primmer hard enough to fire the cartridge.
I re oiled my pup and it's ready for action.
I absolutely love this gun, and living in S. Florida with the heat down here would carry no other gun. It fits anyplace.
I'm going to carry with 115g speer gold dots, I feel they will do the job when & if ever needed.
I truely hope that day never comes, but I'd rather it be him or her than me.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:39:18 PM by hoserack »