Author Topic: R9 Review by PistolTraining.com  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Wheedum

R9 Review by PistolTraining.com
« on: June 08, 2009, 06:45:58 PM »
Here is an objective article on the R9.  IMO, very well done.

http://pistol-training.com/articles/pocket-wonder-rohrbaugh-r9s-stealth

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
Re: R9 Review by PistolTraining.com
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:40:46 PM »
Concur that it is a reasonably fair article but the writer clearly over indulges in ammo for which we on this forum are aware does not work.

I think we have a bond on this forum that (albeit with its limitations) when using the right ammo, the R9s is the finest pocket pistol, period.

Had this writer gotten with the program as to ST Winchester and GD, he could have deleted half the words used and had a better range outcome.

Hey, he kept the gun and had a favorable opinion, despite his concerns that are outside the boundaries of forum member's  ammo useage.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:29:36 PM »
He must have been paid by the number of words.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 05:06:59 PM »
There are 9MM cartridges that I enjoy shooting that do not work in the R9. They would include Sellier & Belot and Fiochi.

If factory furnished the gun and was aware of the test, I cannot imagine their having failed to advise the writer about standard velocity ammo and what to use or avoid.

For this reason Tracker's comment makes sense to me. We are aware of the R9s limitations and love the gun despite its shortcomings. Further, the gun is so tightly made that it is neccesary to drive the gremlins out of a new pistol, occasionally, which this forum clearly supports.

However, this gun writer appears to have gone out of his way to encounter negativity and enjoys reading his own results.

Sorry about the long post but I am being paid by the word.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wheedum

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 07:26:26 PM »
The fact that he used the wrong ammo and had to learn the "hard way" is exactly the point of value in the article.  This is EXTREMELY helpful for those either considering the purchase of the R9, or new to the limitations of it before their own extensive range trial and error.  

Know-It-Alls who condescend upon anyone else who is learning, belong behind the counter of some retail gun store dispensing their arrogant "Gun Store 'Tude" on the unsuspecting public.

The article tells the whole truth.  What could be wrong with that?

Let's remember that the gun store doesn't always give the whole picture when they sell the weapon.  Including the one who sold this gun to the HARD WORKING SOLDIER who wrote this article.  Not some bought and paid journalist for a sales based magazine.  That's the point.... He wasn't paid by the word.  He wasn't paid at all.  He's paid by the nation he serves to protect.    ???

Offline Corvette

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 08:33:22 PM »
The fact that he used the wrong ammo and had to learn the "hard way" is exactly the point of value in the article.  This is EXTREMELY helpful for those either considering the purchase of the R9, or new to the limitations of it before their own extensive range trial and error.  

Know-It-Alls who condescend upon anyone else who is learning, belong behind the counter of some retail gun store dispensing their arrogant "Gun Store 'Tude" on the unsuspecting public.

The article tells the whole truth.  What could be wrong with that?

Let's remember that the gun store doesn't always give the whole picture when they sell the weapon.  Including the one who sold this gun to the HARD WORKING SOLDIER who wrote this article.  Not some bought and paid journalist for a sales based magazine.  That's the point.... He wasn't paid by the word.  He wasn't paid at all.  He's paid by the nation he serves to protect.    ???

Excellent post.
I thought the article was spot on.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »
My nephew is presently stationed in Afghanistan and I am an Honorably Discharged Veteran.

Cool Off.

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 10:00:55 PM »
IMO the review is a good one.  It discusses what some people might see as problems with the R9.  IMO the R9 is a spirited thoroughbred that likes a specific diet.  Although, my stealth R9s as gleefully taken any ammo I've feed it.

Did anyone notice what is wrong in picture five of this review?  The guy has a thumb inside the trigger guard.  Handgun 101 rookie mistake (loaded or not)!
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:20:31 PM »
We're all different: some want you to build them a watch
and some just ask for the time. I just like to know the time
of day but to each his own.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 10:25:55 PM »
And almost all said, Amen!!   :)     :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln