Author Topic: Frangible rounds through the R9  (Read 2187 times)

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
Frangible rounds through the R9
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
Knowledge or opinion of the use of 'safety rounds' such ast the 'Extreme Shock' Caliber:  9MM Air Freedom Round?
Grain:  85
Velocity:  1531 fps
Energy:  442 ft. lbs.
This round supposedly 'disintegrates when it hits hard targets such as many interior walls and airplane skins, but retains astonishing stopping power on organic targets.' If true, it would appear to a good albeit expensive solution to 'shooting the BG's but not the neighbors." Given the statistics listed, though, I worry about FTF and FTE...

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Frangible rounds through the R9
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 07:11:50 PM »

1531 fps is quite hot for normal pressure. I think I would steer clear of that one.

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »
Thank you. I will do so.  If 'push comes to shove' the neighbors likely will have to make to with Speer Gold Dot 115 Gr.    ;)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 08:35:49 AM »
I would definitely stick with the recommended ammo here on the Forum.  Why not save yourself alot of grief?  Just an opinion of a satisfied Winchester 115gr. Silvertip user.  I do wonder, though, when they will become available again.    :(
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:11:19 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 07:30:22 PM »
It seems the Winchester 115 gr. Silvertips may be either a myth or a marketing lead-in: places where I've seem them listed/advertised and who have taken orders for them, have then always followed up with an "I'm sorry, these items are on back-order... etc. etc.)", and so, for month upon month, were never delivered. These were evidently not fradulent come-ons, since I was never charged for any of these orders, and subsequently just cancelled them. Since then I've gone entirely with 115 Gr. Speer Gold Dots, and have never had a failure of any type, and the supply seems to be reasonably secure and available.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 07:44:52 PM »
I'm just wondering why Winchester doesn't produce any more 9mm Silvertips or why they can't catch up on orders.  Don't need any, just wondering.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline slashsplat

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 01:43:13 PM »
I would definitely stick with the recommended ammo here on the Forum.  Why not save yourself alot of grief?  Just an opinion of a satisfied Winchester 115gr. Silvertip user.  I do wonder, though, when they will become available again.    :(
+1
NRA Life Member - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Member: ARFCOM Platinum - JPFO - GOA - CCRKBA - USCCA - GeorgiaCarry.org
Μολὼν λαβέ