Author Topic: Received my R9s back from AP&W ...  (Read 5158 times)

Offline gdavis2265

Re: Received my R9s back from AP&W ...
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 10:12:02 PM »
Guys,

I have one question though on porting a gun. Everybody talks about how a longer barrel produces more ft/lbs of power by being able to burn more powder before the bullet reaches the end, would this not be counter productive and produce less energy?
Glenn

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 10:15:13 PM »
Yes it does.  I lost about 35 feet per second when I tested a ported one verses a non ported one.  (with 147gr gold dots)  Not enough loss to bother me because it did reduced the recoil.

Offline gdavis2265

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 10:20:38 PM »
Very good,

Does not seem significant - thanks!
Glenn

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 10:23:02 PM »
I agree that the silver extension would be better (going to order some...) -- got the other ones before I decided to have the work done on the R9s.
Am looking into to some custom grips, too.
I will not be able to take this out to the range until late this week -- I will post a range review as soon as I return.
As for the porting reducing energy of the round -- this is true. Bob Cogan's said to me that in his chronograph measurements, velocity on most pistol rounds is reduced less than 10%; that's likely still good enough for the best concealed carry weapon there is, in my opinion(particularly if the lower recoil and attendant muzzle flip makes multiple shots on target easier).

Offline gdavis2265

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 07:57:31 AM »
How does the R9 with it's barrel length fair as far as moving the 9mm bullet fast enough for good expansion?

I'm sure there are many tests on this from a lot of you guys, It's just that I'm new and have not figured out how the search function works quite yet.  :P

Glenn

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 08:14:41 AM »
Glenn.  Here's a link for 9mm bullet expansion from a Kel Tec, 3.1 inch barrel; The R9 has a 2.9 inch barrel so should be close.

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/9mm/gel9.htm
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln