Author Topic: Mobil 1 or Break Free CLP  (Read 7655 times)

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
Mobil 1 or Break Free CLP
« on: March 07, 2005, 08:51:21 AM »
I use Break Free on all my guns, but I've been seeing more and more people using the Mobil 1.  Is it better?  Or is it just cheaper? Does the Mobil 1 allow for the ease of cleanup like the Break Free? I use Mobil 1 in my cars once past 50,000 miles or so, but never thought to use it on my firearms until I started seeing it in threads.  Just how good is it and why?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 08:51:42 AM by Rocnerd »

Offline Wayne

• Expert
Re: Mobil 1 or Break Free CLP
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 10:53:25 PM »
I use the Mobil1 because Eric had recommended it.  See R9SCarry's FAQ Site on R9 Lubrication Recommendations.

Plus, one quart will last a lifetime.  ;)

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 09:19:28 AM »
Well, I guess I will give it a try and see for myself.  If the engineer of the pistol recommends it and his pistol has, what was the last concensus?-5000 rounds?, then it is good enough for me.  

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 08:45:55 PM »
I agree, that's what did it for me.  Prior to the R9, I also used Break Free thinking it was "the stuff".  My H&K shipped with a small sample of Break Free, so it appeared to be recommended by the manufacturer for that particular weapon.

When I spoke with Eric, he  referred to the R9 as a "hot rod".  I had no idea what he meant until I had to buy motor oil for it.  ;D

Offline rbonin

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 09:39:11 PM »
What do you guys use to dispense your Mobil One?  My old oil can seems a bit crude for the task!

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 10:18:15 PM »
Do you use EYE DROPS?  Those little bottles work great !!
RJ=

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 10:04:03 PM »
I'm with RJ.  I use an eye dropper for the Mobil 1.  I'll admit, it's kind of pathetic when you are filling up the dropper, and you begin to fathom just how long that quart will last you.

I've gotten a bit more creative with the Superlube.  Mine came in the squeeze tube, which doesn't always go where you want it.  After I squeeze it along the rails and such, I brush it out more precisely with a small paint brush.  I got one of those 10-packs of really small kids paint brushes for around a dollar or so at the corner drug store.

I know this sounds like a lot of effort, but it really doesn't bother me.  I figure if I spend the extra time to get it right, maybe even a little obsessively so, at least I know the job has been done correctly and I can count on my R9 when I need it.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 10:32:45 AM »
I use this precision oiler from Brownells.  Unfortunately, it comes in sets of three.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1200&title=NEEDLE+OILER+BOTTLES

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 09:44:33 AM »
I finally acquired a quart of Mobil 1 0W-30.  It is not the easiest stuff to find.  

A more careful search here found a post reporting a conversation with Eric and TW.  Please check the following comment about oil.

That all said...in my most RECENT conversation with Eric about lubes he said if you can't find the Superlube grease or mobile oil - just go ahead and use any quality gun grease and oil on hand, so go figure.  And going back to earlier conversations about this on the forum - folks who chimmed in saying the same thing were right about just using similar lubes of same qualities...but at the same time remember to clean and lube every 50-80 shots and be generous in lubrication, as shown in the pics...because the R9 is a special machine requiring special care...TW<<

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 06:38:10 PM »
So I take it from that comment, that I can use the 0-40 wt Mobil one I found -- seems MB uses 0-40, and Porsche uses 0-20, and nothing known to man uses 0-30

Brad
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 07:21:41 PM »
Yes, I bet that would be fine.   Our fellow forum members must have acquired all supplies of 0W-30.

Incidently, the 0W30 was Chevrolet Corvette approved.

Here is a partial statement from Eric:

"Other areas use Mobil One Synthetic motor oil 0-30 weight. This is good for the trigger pivot area, firing pin, magazine latch area and hammer area."

I'm expecting any of the high-quality "gun" oils to serve well in those areas, as well as the popular Mobil One  oils.

My supplies include the factory recommended items, plus Militec-1 grease and oil.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 09:51:50 PM »
May I add what I just posted on Michigunner's thread on lube re firing pin hole.

I use Mobil 1 and always suggest the use of a wee small jeweller's screwdriver - prime it (blade) horizontal with a very small amount of oil - or even dip it and lose surplus then hold horizontal.

Take the oil primed blade then and apply it to area of application - tipping toward vertical once in contact - with luck and observable capillary creep will be seen as a small amount is drawn into area.

I deprecate the use of actual drops!!!  Usually it does too much and leaves surplus - only a small amount is needed at any one time (IMO).!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.