Author Topic: .22LR kit  (Read 3040 times)

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
.22LR kit
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:55:12 PM »
I know this will never happen for many reasons.  I know if it WAS available one could probably buy several other complete pistols for the price.  I know (hope?) the ammo bubble will burst, making it a moot point.  Yes, I do know the difference between center fire and rim fire.  ::)   :)

But it keeps popping into my head anyway, and it would be cool to hear others input.

Ignoring all the non-technical reasons this is a stupid idea, what technical challenges are there?

Would it require a new slide with different firing pin, or can the barrel be offset bored?

Does the .22LR lack the power to move the existing slide, even using a recoil spring from a BIC pen?

Anyone else think it would be kind of cool to swap a barrel/spring/clip and keep shooting some afforable ammo through your R9/R380 at the range?  If nothing else, you would get alot of practice reinstalling that 9mm recoil spring.  :)

"shoot a little, carry a lot, unless you have the .22LR kit then shoot as much as you want"  ;D

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
Re: .22LR kit
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 08:46:09 PM »
Wow, not even a "that's the stupidest thing I've heard yet!" out of anyone.   :)

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 09:34:57 PM »
I missed the post untill today.  I think it would be a good seller.  I would buy one if available.   The kits for 1911's work so I don't see why the 22lr could not push the lighter slide of a R9.  I agree the recoil spring assembly would have to change out and an offset, up or down so the sights still work, barrel should work too.  

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:09:06 PM »
I wasn't aware they were available for the 1911.  The prices are not bad either, $199 including replacement slide.  I guess the replacement slide is necessary?

It would be pretty cool to have for the R9.  I'd get alot more practice in, not only because of the cost of ammo but the hand wouldn't be saying "no more!"   :)

Offline calilw

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 12:58:23 AM »
more than just 1911's available
http://www.22lrconversions.com

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 09:13:39 AM »
Good information!!  Thanks!   :)    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »
I think its a very cool idea and I would buy it.. depending on price.  This would give us the ability to practice shooting without beating up on the gun and have the fun of shooting a gun that we have a lot of money and love sunk into.  I would be willing to be a tester for the prototype.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:28:33 PM by Fat_Boy »
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline Mike_OTDP

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 02:20:30 PM »
Sounds like a seller to me.  Most people don't realize how much fun a high-quality .22 pistol can be.