Author Topic: Marlin 45-70  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Marlin 45-70
« on: February 21, 2006, 01:33:09 PM »
Well, I know some weisenheimer is going to request pictures, and I'll put some up when I find my camera -- problem w. buying one of those ones that fit inside an altoids tin.

But, here it goes:
Marlin 45-70 Cowboy -- straight stock, 26" octagon ballard barrel, 9+1

Wild West big loop -- doesn't give me as much length as I want, but it should help getting gloves in the loop when I use it in the cold.  Gives a much tighter lockup (v. important w. my hot loads for Africa, and a much more "solid" feeling lever -- no wiggle)  When Jeff rounded the edges on the loop, and teflon coated it, it became much more pleasant to shoot.

Wild West trigger -- best, and easiest thing to do to the gun -- no more flop, and I doubt pull is over 4.5#

Wild West ejector -- double the thickness of stock, and one piece -- really tightened and smoothed out the bolt -- both my smith and I were surprised by how much an improvement it made.

Wild West follower -- Ok, maybe this didn't have much point, other than it replaces the plastic one w. a much lighter anodized aluminum one -- might have made it easier to load, but that could just be me trying to justify the fact that I bought one.

Trijicon Reflex sight w. 4.3 MOA dot -- I can shoot the "paper plate" group just fine at 80 yds, but the dot precludes doing anything more accurate -- however, it works very well in all lighting conditions (I was told to be prepared to go after some "problem" animals, and so we might be going after some things at night.) and is very fast, and I don't lose sight of the target -- best "both eye open" sight I've used.  I will probably be switching to ghost rings after this trip, however, since I don't think I'll need the low light use, and it does look pretty Frankensteinish.

To be done on return:  Custom stock from some really nice Turkish walnut I saw at the stock show -- amazingly nice stuff -- if any of ya'll are planning to have a custom stock done, send me a message, and I'll give you the information I have.
Blue the gun properly -- leaving only the top of the receiver matte.
Custom checkering, and having the bolt jeweled...and maybe a Texas A&M logo engraved on the bolt as well.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
Re: Marlin 45-70
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 05:42:10 PM »
Well, where's the pics? -  ;D

Sorry, I just had to!

You've got to love the Marlins - I have a 444 with which I wouldn't part company for anything, in fact it was my first gun purchase way back when after I had saved enough money from my first job as a kid. And now with the new Leverevolutiom line from Hornady loaded up stronger and with the pointed rubber tips, it should have a zero to almost 200 yards!!! - not bad for a lever action!!!
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 07:16:01 PM »
This too is a great tool for the top end ''bruiser'' 45-70 loads - the very tough Ruger #1

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 09:36:41 PM »
Lord have mercy, Chris -- If and when Armageddon comes, I hope you won't mind if I gather up my little judge and my "comparatively" meager gun/ammo collection and fight my way toward your bunker.    8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 01:19:53 AM »
Richard my friend - you 'd be welcome - my ''bunker'' will have room for allies.  

Both for strategic resons and extra gun hands ;D ;D

I am still getting the family trained LOL!  Mind you, Bonnie is hellish good with the AK!! ;)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 02:04:14 AM »
Reminds me...I haven't played w. my AK in awhile...time to go find some dead trees that need "cutting"

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 02:15:36 AM »
Hey Brad - strap a coupla ''Tannerite'' 1 pound containers on said tree - and one shot might be enough!!! :P ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 12:09:37 PM »
but where's the fun in that?  I forgot the most important improvement to the Marlin -- the biggest decelerator pad I could find -- we're trying to figure out how to put a hard limbsaver pad in front of it -- also got the pull to a proper length.

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 02:21:54 AM »
i just shot my winchester 1885 in .405 Win for the first time today.  yikes!  very crescent buttstock w/nice hard steel butt plate.  i took it directly to the range from the shop, and shot it in my shirt sleeves.  last time i'm going to shoot it without a vest!  six rounds and my shoulder felt like i'd bowled about 800 games straight.

i'm going to get busy on a milder handload, and in the meantime am looking for a recoil pad that fits a crescent butt.  we're all turning into wussies gents . . . i'm blaming age -- that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

regards to all from juneau, alaska.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 10:43:37 AM »
Even w. the decellerator pad, I went and decided to sight in/get used to using some 540 gr. Garretts -- I made it through 18 of the 20, and my arms was tingling for several hours afterwards -- the good news is I no longer notice the recoil on any other load.