Author Topic: 9mm for short barreled guns  (Read 17209 times)

Offline riffraff

• Master
9mm for short barreled guns
« on: September 21, 2006, 02:29:12 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I have heard in the past that ammo has been specifically made for snubby revolvers for reduced muzzle flash and noise.  If it exists I bet someone on this board has heard of it.  Does anyone know of a 9mm ammo specifically designed for short barreled 9mm's.  I haven't seen anything like that advertised but that does not mean it doesn't exist.  I do not have the time to stay up on everything gun related that I would like to.  Any info. will be greatly appreciated.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: 9mm for short barreled guns
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 03:21:38 PM »
riffraff:
Speer makes a 124 grain Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection round in 9mm Luger (product #23611),  but it is +P.

That means we shouldn't / can't use it in an R9..... :(

I thought there were several other brands with the so-called "short barrel" loads, but I could find only the Speer offering.

Steve

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 04:48:28 PM »
Thank You Steve

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 06:05:23 PM »
One other for short barrels is the Federal Personal Defense
9mm. 135 gr. JHP.
Velocity  1009fps
accuracy 2.13"
50 ft. expansion  .634"
Avg. penetration  10.88"
Wound area   20.31"
Wound impact index  6.52

This is a standard pressure round wit a relatively user friendly
recoil.  

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 07:08:05 PM »
tracker,

Is this the Hydra Shock load?   I have recently acquired a box of the 135gr Hydra Shock.  They are in the safe right now so I can't inspect them more closely.  I do remembedr something on the box about low recoil though.
If what you wrote of is what I have let me know.

Thanks to all on this fine message board,   Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 07:29:23 PM »
Mike,
Yes, it is Hydra Shock--"Premium Personal Defense".

ronc

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 01:26:39 AM »
Hello,  this is my first post.  I  have owned my r9s for a little over a week now.  I received it as a transfer to my local dealer last Friday and i immediately took it into their indoor range and fired about 20 rounds through it.  I was disappoiinted at the time with the performance.  it misfired several times and failed to eject several times.  I thought it was a beautiful gun but the only reason i would pay this kind of money is for reliability.  I took it home, disassembled it, cleaned it and followed the instructions for grease and oil and reassembled it.  I have carried it for the past week.  today, i took it back to the range and was pleased with its performance today.  I had one misfire and one failure to eject.  I fired at least 30 rounds.  So, i think it may just be a breakin problem.  My question is:  everyone talks about the best carry ammo for this gun but no one talks about what is the best ammo for target practice???  i am using gold dot 124 for carry.  So, far i am shooting winchester white box for practice.  Any advice??  thanks, Ron C

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 09:49:40 AM »
Ron,

Welcome to the forum.  Please come back often.  

I was also successful using Winchester USA ammo, the so-called Winchester White Box, which is commonly  found at Walmart.

My policy was that the pistol must always, without any  exception,  fire the contents of two magazines without errors.  That achievement should more than satisfy its use as an emergency pistol for up-close defensive use.

Kahr and Kimber pistols need a break-in period.  However, the R9 should be ready to go out of the box.

I think that frequent cleaning will be necessary to ensure error-free operation.  

The R9 is not a range gun, of course.  The pain would be too great anyway.

I hope you enjoy your pistol, and the many fine people here on the board.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 09:55:04 AM »
ronc:

Welcome to the Forum.  

I've used Winchester "WB" for range sessions in my R9 with no problems.  I carry it loaded with the Gold Dots recommended on Chris's FAQ sheet.  

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 11:56:50 AM »
ronc,

Well, I learned something from your post.  I thought I had the most problematic R9's on the planet but one problem I have never had was a failure to eject.

About your practice ammo question.  This gun was not made(in my opinion) to be shot that much.  You should practice with the same ammo that you are going to keep in it for carry duty.  The R9 fits the hand so well and has a very natural pointing quality that I feel that a lot of practice with the R9 is kind of pointless.   The R9 is a lot of fun to shoot but is not built to be a plinker or range gun as has already been stated in a previous post.  You should run 2 mags thru it every couple of months and then thouroughly clean and relube.

I think the R9 does require a short break in.  After my #1 was shot a bit the failure to fire's ceased.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

ronc

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 12:42:12 PM »
Well i certainly agree that this is not a gun to take the range and do target practice.  It is just too painful.  30 rounds and i am really ready to quit.  However,  i felt the gun did need some breakin expecially after my first experience.  So what i am trying to do is get about 200 rounds through it and then i will go with the flow of "carry much, shoot rarely."  In any case,  i didn't want to put 200 rounds of gold dot through it for cost purposes.  I am encouraged with the improvement afer only one additional session.  I will do this again several times and hopefully it will reach the 2 mags with no problems.  I agree that this is sufficent.  Ron C

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 02:58:06 PM »
ronc,

I believe that 100rds is plenty to break in an R9.  If the bugs have not gone away after that then you will either have to find a load that it likes or send it back to the factory for some tweaking.  I also recomend replacing the recoil spring after 100rds.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

ronc

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 05:52:10 PM »
Thanks for the infor.  I have noticed several of you mentioning buying ammo by the 1000.  Where do you buy cases like this???  is this an internet sale or what?  Thanks, Ron C

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 07:44:34 PM »
"Ammoman" sells it by the 1000 lots but he doesn't always
carry a lot of the ammo frequently mentioned here.

ronc

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 04:05:44 PM »
one last question on ammo.  I confused my dealer because i bought a new clip for my 9mm Beretta.  I have have had this gun for 20+ years and the original clip has been compressed for most of this time.  I decided it was time to buy another one.  Then i asked for ammo for my R9 and he handed me a box of Spear Gold Dot and i immediately saw it to be a longer shell.  I asked him if this was +p ammo and he said "yes, that is what i would shoot in it."  I explained that i was not buying the ammo for the Beretta and he took the box back and handed me a smaller  box.  However, after getting home and loading my gun, i noticed that it was 124 grain.  Someone on this forum mentioned that 124 grain was +P and we should not be using it in a R9.  It doesn't say anything about being +P and it is definitely a smaller box than the +P box i had earlier.  do i still have the wrong ammo???  Ron C