Author Topic: So, what happens if you DON'T change the spring?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline sgtdraino

So, what happens if you DON'T change the spring?
« on: February 10, 2006, 04:40:40 AM »
I've read through quite a few messages on this forum trying to solve my own FTF problems, and I've noticed the current concensus theory seems to be that the recoil spring might be a bit too tight, until it is "broken in." Then I guess there's an all-too-brief honeymoon period until you hit that magic 250 rounds, and you're supposed to put a new one in.

What I was wondering, is what happens if you don't? What happens if you just keep shooting using the same recoil spring, until it becomes blatantly obvious that you need to change it?

The main issue being, of course, what is "blatantly obvious" going to be? Will the gun just stop feeding properly? Or could leaving an old recoil spring in too long actually cause permanent damage?

Is there a way to know when the spring REALLY needs changing, besides the magic 250 number?

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Re: So, what happens if you DON'T change the sprin
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 01:37:10 PM »
Fudster posted the Wolff springs website -- according to that site, the gun starts to have feeding problems as it gets too weak.  My guess would be that if it was allowed to really deteriorate, eventually it would start harming the gun by not absorbing enough recoil to protect the parts.  Originally the recommendation was to change it at 500 rounds -- but it's only $4 or so -- I don't know about the recoil spring having to set -- it may be more a situation of people having to get used to the gun -- neither mine, or my father's has ever had a problem from brand new -- but I don't shoot too many rounds at a time -- usually the only way I go through 50 is if I'm swapping off w. someone else -- and I always clean it as soon as I'm finished.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 02:17:52 PM »
sgtdraino  Welcome  My first spring change came and went.  No problems,  I do like to hand cycle for a couple of minutes. Just my habit after cleaning.  Don't know if it has any bearing. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 12:44:58 PM »
I admit, I'm not anxious to change my spring.  I had problems at first which persisted even after a trip back to the factory.  But after the spring set, the problems vanished. I can't say for sure this is connected, but nor can I say it is not.  

I would like to try a stronger magazine spring but none are available.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 02:04:57 PM »
Strikes me, and has for ages now - the spring is perhaps the most critical single component - the mag' a close second.

Being designed as a pocket rocket with dimensions about minimized, that spring has to effect one heck of a compromize, with a very short length.  Of course the smaller secondary one too performs a vital function but the main spring power is in the large one.

I do believe that a fresh fitted new spring can compromize function, but probably not for very long.  Equally I would also accept that a spring that had lost too much of its rate could allow the gun to get beaten up unnecessarily.  It is this factor of two extremes that I think make for the changing springs recommendation - the attempt to have the gun in use during the relatively optimal phase of spring life.

From choice with new spring replacement - I would after fitting, hold the slide open with perhaps an empty case - and leave for a few hours - to get a preload set.  Once that initial set is taken then I reckon we are good to go for the few hundred rounds.  

Just how far I could exceed the change period I am not sure - but probably it could run well beyond the prescribed level, mainly I think because once that two coil set has taken, there will not be too much more - other than a slow possible attrition thru further cycling.

Just musing -  ;)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 04:32:53 PM »
If you let the recoil spring go too long (lose too much load), the slide will start to batter the frame in recoil.  I've experienced this battering with a H&K USP40 full sized gun.  It has the same sort of dual spring recoil system as the R9.  One day, I could actually feel the slide slamming back.  A quick switch to the new spare outer spring in my range bag, and I was back in business. The slamming sensation was gone.

I've changed springs once, and will have to do so again after my next range session with the R9.  I made up a little fixture from a couple of blocks of wood, a brass rod, and a 1/4" drive deep socket so I can "exercise" the new spring before I put it into service.  (Much easier than racking the slide on the assembled gun.)  50 cycles make the spring set about 1/2 a coil.
I'll post a picture next time i dig my camera out.