Author Topic: R9 Covert  (Read 3109 times)

Offline giansant

R9 Covert
« on: June 17, 2021, 02:32:06 PM »
I just purchased my second covert, used, of course. The first one I purchased has a stainless barrel. The one I just purchased has a blued barrel. Was this normal or is it possible that the covert I have with a stainless barrel is not an original barrel? Both are in the 5XXX SN block. Thanks, all.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: R9 Covert
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 05:00:03 PM »
We never issued an R9 with a blued barrel. All barrels were stainless steel. Most were natural color (silver) and some were treated to a Nitride (black) finish.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 05:18:12 PM »
I just purchased my second covert, used, of course. The first one I purchased has a stainless barrel. The one I just purchased has a blued barrel. Was this normal or is it possible that the covert I have with a stainless barrel is not an original barrel? Both are in the 5XXX SN block. Thanks, all.

The Coverts barrels I believe were all black.

After firing a few times the black coating wears off unevenly where the slide comes over the barrel and many owners find this unsightly and have removed the black coating from the barrels.  There is nothing one can do to keep the slide from wearing on the barrel.

That would be my guess.

Offline giansant

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 02:47:00 PM »
Eric - thanks for this - and yes, where I said blued I realize now it is the Nitrade.

One other question - when the Coverts were sent to Wilson Combat was any work done on the barrels specifically?

Thank you again.

We never issued an R9 with a blued barrel. All barrels were stainless steel. Most were natural color (silver) and some were treated to a Nitride (black) finish.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh

Offline giansant

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 02:47:57 PM »
Thanks for this - I did notice that some of the black had worn off exactly where you noted - understandable but still good to know it's normal. Appreciate it.

The Coverts barrels I believe were all black.

After firing a few times the black coating wears off unevenly where the slide comes over the barrel and many owners find this unsightly and have removed the black coating from the barrels.  There is nothing one can do to keep the slide from wearing on the barrel.

That would be my guess.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 08:58:39 AM »
My Covert wore the same way.  I had a lot of trouble with that pistol.  It eventually ate the slide pin which broke in two, fatally damaging the rails….gun kaput!  I’ve saved the parts and threw the frame in a box for the memory.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 07:33:07 PM »
Eric - thanks for this - and yes, where I said blued I realize now it is the Nitrade.

One other question - when the Coverts were sent to Wilson Combat was any work done on the barrels specifically?

Thank you again.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh

I believe it is time to clarify the COVERT models. These were never made by Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp. A company by the name of Arego's Pawn would purchase ten to twenty R9S Standard pistols from us and then they would send them out to be turned in HIS MODEL: The COVERT by Wilson Combat. We had nothing whatsoever to do with that model R9 other than selling them our standard R9S two-tone with sights.

Now, to answer your question:  I do not believe Wilson did anything to the barrels other than coating them black. 

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline giansant

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 08:56:30 PM »
Thanks again Eric - for the info on the barrels and the history on the guns - glad to learn more about how they came to be.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh

I believe it is time to clarify the COVERT models. These were never made by Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp. A company by the name of Arego's Pawn would purchase ten to twenty R9S Standard pistols from us and then they would send them out to be turned in HIS MODEL: The COVERT by Wilson Combat. We had nothing whatsoever to do with that model R9 other than selling them our standard R9S two-tone with sights.

Now, to answer your question:  I do not believe Wilson did anything to the barrels other than coating them black. 

ecr

Offline chrisodasso@comcast.net

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 10:54:37 PM »
I was wondering if the nitride finish on the Special Forces wears off in the same manner as the Wilson barrel coating?
Thank you in advance! Chris

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 07:23:07 AM »
Yes, it does.  Easy enough to touch up with a black “bluing” pen if the sight offends, but I see no personal need since I carry for function, not pristine appearance.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline chrisodasso@comcast.net

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 01:03:53 AM »
Thank you!
Chris