Author Topic: Shooting R9  #2  (Read 3167 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Shooting R9  #2
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
Ok guys, you talked me into it.  I bought another R9 a couple of weeks ago to give Rohrbaugh a second chance.  I bought this one used in  "mint condition with less than 50 rounds fired".  The owner said it had functioned flawlessly with 3 brands of ammo for him.  He had bought a Kimber Solo and decided to sell the Rohrbaugh.  I would not call the price cheap, but I was able to buy 2 of John"s extensions and a set of VZ grips and have less than the price of a new gun.
The gun came in as described so I put the extensions on and headed to the range.  I shot the following:
     12 - 115 Gold Dot
     12 - 124 Gold Dot
     12 - Reloads I use for practice with my PM9
All worked fine with no troubles what so ever , so I went home and ordered the VZ Grips.
When the grips came in I put them on (fit and looked great) and headed back to the range.  This time I was indoors and I shot the following:
7 - 115 GD
7 - 124 GD
7 - 124 Hydrashoks
7 - 124 Federal HPT
14 - Reloads
All 100%.  I was pleased with the functioing and accuracy.  The trigger was surprisingly smooth, so much I worried about light hits but I had none.  With the grips and extensions I was  able to get 7 shots off quickly and accurately with out adjusting my grip.
Again the bore on this gun is very rough.  Tool chatter marks on top of the lands the whole length of the barrel.  Why Rohrbaugh does not outsource their barrels is beyond me.  When Kahr had barrel trouble they went to Walther and got match grade polygonal rifled barrels and they look and shoot great.  Why Rohrbaugh sticks with their 19th century broaching on a $1100+ pistol makes no sense to me.
All in all I am pleased with the gun as I expected a lousy barrel.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Shooting R9  #2
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:09:11 PM »
MRC,
   Glad the pup was flawless for you, they are certainly the best pocket 9 out there.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »
MRC.  Good to see you now have another R9.  Glad everything is working out with this one.  Now you can enjoy.  Thanks for the range results.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
MRC

Great! you received another PUP. :)

I am glad all went well at the range! :D It is as to be expected with the R9

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 11:44:46 PM »
Sounds like a winner!

Guess Rohrbaugh wants to be in full control of their guns and also maybe it's a money thing ?
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE