Author Topic: How Should A Pocket Holster Work?  (Read 17077 times)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: How Should A Pocket Holster Work?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2006, 07:09:16 PM »
I favor jeans too..
Some are better than others for sure for front pocket carry..

My pup fills out the pocket to about the max on most of them..

Carhartt seems to make some that have a deeper pocket..

I guess we could have a tailor fit new right hand pockets in..Should not be real expensive..

Just a bit wider and just a bit deeper.. ;)

I know guys that wear suits have pockets done all the time-why not jeans if the "fit" still looks right?  8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2006, 07:41:26 PM »
I'm usually wearing BDUs or a suit or slacks, but on those occasions in which I wear jeans or Dockers I carry my pocket pistol in one of RJ's "Back-Pocket" holsters in the strong-side front pocket.  It prints as an address book or wallet, and over the years I've learned the technique of extracting the pistol from the holster and pocket using my thumb and first two fingers rather than a true firing grip.  

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2006, 09:05:33 PM »
Carhartt seems to make some that have a deeper pocket..

I guess we could have a tailor fit new right hand pockets in..Should not be real expensive..

Brenden
In my case it's not he pocket itself that's too small - it's the pocket opening which is too tight. I can insert an open hand easily enough, but can't withdraw it when I'm gripping the gun. Sewing in a larger pocket wouldn't help.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2006, 08:09:27 AM »

I know guys that wear suits have pockets done all the time-why not jeans if the "fit" still looks right?  8)

I routinely have my right-hand front pockets deepened to accommodate a holstered handgun.  The seamstress at my local drycleaners has become rather good at the task and refers to it as "making a holster holster."   :)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2006, 09:10:47 AM »
Richard

That is the solution, in many cases.  But most guys just will never do it.  

You will not believe how many times I am asked, "Will your holster fit my pocket?"
RJ=

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2006, 09:48:58 AM »
Richard, good idea, I never thought about doing that.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2006, 10:04:26 AM »
For me, with jeans, the problem is not the "internal" size of the pocket, which is easily changed, it is the size of the pocket opening -- the denim.  This is not easily changed without essentially rebuilding the pants.

Has anyone tried the Toters brand jeans?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2006, 10:39:08 AM »
I would suppose, the *Gun Carry* should be foremost in your mind as you shop for Pants..  
Not trying to stay with, "the size you wore in High School."     :-[    
Deal with what you have...   :D
RJ=

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2006, 03:37:15 PM »
I have'nt owned a pair of "blue jeans", "dungeress", or "jeans since I was about ten years old because I always thought the fit was to tight and restrictive, not to mention skinning your knuckels every time you reached in the front pocket. I am wearing and have worn JC Penny Big Mac Kakis for many years and it is very easy to pocket carry in these pants,waist size 36. 8)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2006, 04:18:21 PM »
Diamond Cut blue jeans work very well for carry -- I use one of Mr. Hedley's Back pocket models in the front pocket -- with the additional benefit that they have a gussested crotch for...well, to make things easier for men to wear them -- the regular cuts are made in the US, also
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2006, 05:59:30 PM »

I routinely have my right-hand front pockets deepened to accommodate a holstered handgun.  The seamstress at my local drycleaners has become rather good at the task and refers to it as "making a holster holster."   :)

I knew someone here did this!! ;)

harrydog,
I guess that in a couple of pairs of jeans that my grip is modified somewhat to pull from the pocket,guess I have not thought a whole lot about it..
I don't wear "tight" jeans for sure,more loose fit styles,some are just more condusive to carry than others for me..

Duane,
I have looked at the Toters brand in ads only,interesting for sure.
They almost look like they advertise to carry in the reinforced pockets without a holster? May just be the way that I take it..
I think I would rather buy another holster AND jeans for about the same price.. ;) They may be great though,I do NOT have any experience with them..

Aglifter,
Do they sell the Diamond Cut brand at any "specific" stores? I will check them out..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2006, 11:49:59 PM »
Umm, at Knopp and Metzgers in Fredericksburg, TX, but mainly at their website
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline typo623

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2006, 10:26:21 AM »
I was looking for a recommendation on a pocket holster for my R9S.  I am currently using a Nemesis, nice holster but I was looking to upgrade.  So far I have found probably 6 holsters that I like but I don't want to buy all 6 so I thought if anyone was familiar with any of them, they could pass alone that information.. The holsters I am looking at are first from PaleHorse: 1) ZULU, 2) ZULU -2, 3) Bombay, and 4) Reno.  The from K&D the Pocket Defender and the Pocket Defender Convertible 2 in 1.

I carry this weapon in my right front pocket, but I was also looking for an ankle holster for this piece, any recommendation there also..

Thanks for your help.

Tom.. :)   8)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2006, 10:58:51 AM »
Typo:

If I have not previously welcomed you to the Forum, I do so now.

R. J. Hedley, the "elder statesman" of the pocket-holster world, is not accepting new orders for a while.  http://www.hedleyholsters.com

K&D Holsters is an advertising sponsor of the Forum, and Kevin does beautiful leather work.   http://www.kdholsters.com/

Pale Horse Holsters are from Ron Graham's shop.  Ron occasionally posts on the Forum, and he and his associates are known for superb gun leather.  http://www.palehorseholsters.com/holsters.htm
http://www.grahamholsters.com/

Matt Del Fatti also posts to the Forum and is a real gun leather artist.
http://www.delfatti.com/

If you are interested in a Kydex holster, you can't do any better than David  Brown, who also posts occasionally on the Forum.
http://www.buybrownholsters.com/gun_holsters.htm

You can't go wrong with a holster from any of these friends of the Forum.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline typo623

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2006, 11:37:20 AM »
Rich, thanks for the information, looks like I was going in the right direction.. Appreciate your input..

Tom..