Author Topic: Selling Consecutive Serial Number Set  (Read 4992 times)

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Selling Consecutive Serial Number Set
« on: September 20, 2018, 07:17:09 AM »
There is a set of consecutive serial number Elites on Gunbroker, and it looks like the seller didn't reach his reserve price before he relisted them.  I wonder if he'd be better off splitting the set rather than trying to find a buyer for two Elites.  I have a set of Farmies I'm thinking about selling and I'll probably list them seperately.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Selling Consecutive Serial Number Set
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 03:49:53 PM »
That's a tough call Phil. . . . . Whether to list them together or separate them.

I'm from the old school of thought I guess:

Offer them as a consecutive numbered "set" first so the enthusiast has an opportunity to, perhaps, pick up a collectible set.

If they do not sell as a set the first time out, then I would sell them individually the very next time around the selling block.

Anyone looking for a set, would be looking in earnest most of the time.

If not, set them up individually and let them rock & roll.   lol.

Just my thought on the topic anyway...……….
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »
That's a tough call Phil. . . . . Whether to list them together or separate them.

I'm from the old school of thought I guess:

Offer them as a consecutive numbered "set" first so the enthusiast has an opportunity to, perhaps, pick up a collectible set.

If they do not sell as a set the first time out, then I would sell them individually the very next time around the selling block.

Anyone looking for a set, would be looking in earnest most of the time.

If not, set them up individually and let them rock & roll.   lol.

Just my thought on the topic anyway...……….

Good advice.  Thanks

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 10:42:56 PM »
You bet Phil.

Good night now...…..
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline BVGM76

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 11:15:04 PM »
Hello - I am the owner of the pair of Elites with consecutive serial numbers.  The initial auction doesn't end until Sunday evening, so they haven't been re-listed.  This is the first time they have ever been offered together.  I actually bought them separately about 2 years apart and didn't realize they had consecutive serial numbers until I brought the second one home.  I agree with ECR and felt like I should initially offer them as a consecutive pair.    I owned an Elite that was serial number R2439.  I have also seen several sell recently in the 2700 range...including #2792.  If approximately 50-80 were made, it is obvious that the production run of Elites wasn't completely sequential.  I am curious if ECR recalls how many of the Elite run would have been in a block or sequential.  I am just trying to decide what to do if they do not hit the reserve.  I hate to break them up if this is a truly rare occurrence.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks. 

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 09:23:01 AM »
Welcome to the forum BVGM76.

Show us some pictures of your twins.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »
Sorry about the wrong info about the listing.  The auction  must have been longer than just a week because when I came back and saw that there were 7 days left, I assumed it had been relisted for another week.  Good luck with the sale. 

Offline BVGM76

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 12:13:47 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures.  Let me know if you would like to see more!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 07:42:42 PM »
The scuffs on the side of the slides can be cleaned up pretty easily by using 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper with oil on the paper on a machined flat surface

We would do that by hand on a slab of true flat granite in the shop.

A nice pair, you should find them new homes for sure.

Good Luck with your sale.

Eric R.

Offline BVGM76

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 11:18:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice on how to remove those light scuffs.  I was surprised that I didn't get much interest the first time I listed the pair.  The auction automatically relisted when it ended.  I will see what happens this time and decide what to do if they don't sell as a pair.  Are there any records on the serial numbers for the Elite model?  I am just curious if many were made consecutively.  Thanks.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »
All records went to Remington when we sold the business to them in 2014. We do not have any records, so anything I offer in the way of history is purely from memory, which, as I'm getting older, escapes me from time to time. lol

Ref. how many Elites in consecutive order were made. . . . . . That I honestly cannot say. I would make a "batch" of them, usually 12 to a batch as the box I made the R9 pistols in held four rows of 12, for a total of 48 pistols per in-house work box. These were, of course, consecutive serial numbered frames, but mostly they would sell to a dealer in orders of one, two, three or, sometimes, four in an order. How they sold them to the end user was up to the dealer, not us. If you have consecutive numbered Elites, somebody bought two from the same store or, we did have a few orders where the dealer would order two for just that motive: consecutive numbers purchased by the same person for them and a family member.

Eric R.

Offline BVGM76

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 07:41:09 PM »
Eric - thanks for the information!  I guess I just got lucky.  I actually bought these Elites about two years apart.  I didn't know that they were consecutive serial numbers until I purchased the second one and brought it home from my dealer and was comparing it to the first one.

Gavin

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 07:43:48 PM »
Ha haa. . . . . . Sounds like the R9 Gods were in your favor Gavin!

Very cool story on how you acquired those Elites too.

Enjoy your evening.

Regards,

Eric

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
Sorry to hijack your thread but it looks like it has just about played out anyway.

Check out this set.

http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/Lot_of_10__Consecutively_Numbered_Unfired_Colt_Cus-LOT448416.aspx