Author Topic: R9/R9S Reviews  (Read 6977 times)

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
R9/R9S Reviews
« on: June 03, 2004, 08:28:59 AM »
I've heard that Ayoob is preparing a review of Rohrbaughs for the gunmag to which he contributes, and that another one is in the works.  Anyone have any specifics?

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
Re: R9/R9S Reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 09:16:45 AM »
Hi Musician,

Gun Tests is supposed to do a direct comparison of the Kahr PM9 and the Rohrbaugh in an upcoming issue but I am not sure whether it is next month or the month after. I am eager to see what they think since I have been carrying my PM9 constantly since I got it in March over a year ago. I shoot it frequently, with good accuracy, and have had few complaints about it. When I get my Rohrbaugh, hopefully fairly soon, I expect it to become my 24/7 gun. In fact, I already ordered several holsters for the Rohrbaugh from Ron Graham who says that he is carrying his Rohrbaugh all the time. I think that the Rohrbaugh may be destined to become a classic.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 08:43:47 PM »
Hi Shooterjb:

I assume you get Gun Test magazine. I use to, but not for a while since it got to a point where I would read it rarely. So, if a review gets published, could you send me a copy of it? I'm interested in their take on the PM9 v Rohrbaugh issue.

Also, like you I sent Ron Graham a pile of money to stock up on Rohrbaugh leather.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 09:00:08 PM »
I'm sure we will be seeing a ton or write ups, I think the next issue of american handgunner will have the ayoob feature.

I hope we do not have to wait as long as the kel-tec p3at write ups..I am just seeing them now and its been out a year  ::)

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 09:40:39 AM »
Hi George,

Consider it a done deal. When I get the Gun Tests article I will scan it and email it to you or, if you prefer, fax it. The more I have to remember it seems the worse my memory gets though, so don't hesitate to remind me.

The only two gun magazines that I subscribe to are the American Rifleman, as part of my NRA membership, and Gun Tests. Over the years I got sick of seeing gun writers for most of the major magazines explain away and rationalize major shortcomings of junk guns because they didn't want to alienate the manufacturers, for whatever reason.

Also George, I am painfully aware that you got your check in the mail to Ron 1 day ahead of mine. I guess it is like that when you have a lot of beautiful secretaries working for you. You ought to see the people I have working for me (lol). My hope is that both of our holster orders come through at the same time (lol). I won't have anything to put in my Rohrbaugh holsters for awhile though. I should have listened to your advice a year ago and ordered one from Erik, but at the time I was comfortable with my PM9. I guess the moral is that it pays to take your lawyer's advice. Of course, Bill advised me to wait at least a year before I ordered one, so maybe I wasn't too far off. By all accounts, including yours, it is a great gun and I can't wait to get my hands on my own. I am looking at loading it with the RBCD ammo for carry, and practicing with the 115 grain Winchester White Box FMJs.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 10:59:43 AM »
I would love to see that article as well...

I already had Kevin from K&D Holsters make up my Pocket Defender variation in burgandy leather for my R-9s.  It is sitting here several months ahead of my gun.   ;D   I am trying to decide what other holsters I may need -- I am sure there will be more.

Now I am trying to decide what kind of new knife I need to round out the new EDC when the R-9 arrives!  The things we do to keep our minds busy, huh?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 12:32:42 PM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 09:57:45 PM »
Hi Frank:

I had to beat the land speed record to get my check in the mail before yours. I'm still catching my breath.

I don't have a clue when they will come. I'm still waiting on my Glock order. However, Ron has never disappointed me. This last order, all I specified was a rear pocket and everything else, whatever he wants to make.

By the way no one listens to lawyers. As to secretaries, my office has a policy to only hire those women are life members in the AARP--less problems that way.

And as to Bill, he is still a newlywed. So I pleased everytime he comes up for air and graces us with his company.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 11:15:05 PM »
George and Frank:

Bill hasn't come up for enough air to become a member of this Board.  Do you think someone should bang on his door?

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 12:46:27 AM »
Hi Richard:

Great idea. Maybe we should tag team him. Wear him down.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 10:36:53 AM »
Hi George,

I remember when you told me about your secretary. The problem is that, knowing you, I just don't believe that she is collecting social security. I like to think that she is the kind of woman whose second job is entering Miss Universe contests or, at the least, exotic dancing.

Richard S and George,

I think that we should give Bill a heads up about the Rohrbaughs. I know that he was hesitant to order something this new but, in my case, I became a believer after talking to Eric Rohrbaugh and examining his guns at the NRA convention. When I talked to Eric Rohrbaugh he offered to put me in line for one of his guns based on my say so. Later in the conversation at the NRA convention I was telling him that Ron Graham was a friend of mine who is an old fashioned gentleman, making outstanding holsters, who does business on a handshake. Eric Rohrbaugh looked at me and said, "You mean like the deal on a handshake I just offered you?" That settled it for me.  Any qualms I had after that, due to the price and lack of a track record, were settled when people I trust like yourselves, Ron Graham and Erik Chaffee tested the Rohrbaughs and recommended them. To be honest, I was a little bit nervous between the time I ordered my Rohrbaugh and the time that you all shot yours and posted your experiences. Your recommendations carried far more weight with me than the reviews of 100 gun magazine writers and I thank you for your posts. By the way, I met Bill's wife at the convention and she is both good looking and charming.

Frank

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2004, 03:09:42 PM »
Hi Frank:

My office had an incident in the late 1980's during an office Christmas party. A married lawyer and a married secreatary were "working out" under one of the food tables, that had a tablecloth on it.  It was the only time in my firm's history that the firm put a boombox on the table and turned up the sound.

Currently, two lawyers are practicing eastern mating rituals instead of working. Another problem.

Hasn't anyone heard of motels?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2004, 08:57:28 PM »
Frank:

You're going to love your Rohrbaugh.  And you're absolutely right, Eric and Frank are men of their word -- true gentlemen.

George:

I remember Christmas parties in my old law firm which were similar to the one you describe.  It always amazed me how some otherwise intelligent men could make such blithering fools of themselves after a few cups of holiday grog.

---

I stopped by my FFL's shop today and was asked to show the R9s to the assembled crowd of Saturday morning regulars.  I had to disappoint them.  The gun is in my safe, bereft of grips.  The grips are in the hands of a custom jeweler, who is making molds of them to cast a pair in sterling silver.  (Lord save me, but I can't help it.)

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2004, 09:22:05 PM »
Errata:

Eric and Karl.  I apologize.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"