Author Topic: Mixing up your carry modes  (Read 2957 times)

RA_Bakken

Mixing up your carry modes
« on: May 18, 2006, 11:36:43 AM »
Morning!

How many of you mix up your carry modes?  Was thinking about this in relation to my Milt Sparks VersaMax 2 IWB holster for the Kimber Ultra CDP.

Sometimes I wear it with the clips attached, and actually tuck my shirt in over it...for a clean presentable "not wearing a gun" look.  Sometimes I wear with the clips and don't tuck.

For example, if I'm in a sensitive area (like around too many Californians who have moved here) :-) or likely to have to take a coat off (maybe at church), I'll tuck my shirt over the gun.  Also, this helps me mix it up, so if people think I'm carrying under my coat, and all of a sudden I take it off, and there's no "gun" visible, that's a good thing.  Keeps folks from profiling me too much.  Even those who know I "carry" can't say for sure if I am, or where usually.  Know what I mean?  

Different carry modes keep me a little more annonymous, and keep my habits from being too noticable even from those who are around me daily.  The VM2 helps with this.  Of course, pocket carry is great too.

Are any of you concerned about being too predictable and therefore "made" by other people while you're carrying?  How do you avoid it?

I take great pleasure in the fact that folks who have known me for over 5 years have no idea that I'm always armed.    When they find out (such as when I encourage someone to get their Handgun Carry Permit), they're always shocked.  "I've been around you for years...I would've seen a gun on you!?"

Big fun!

--Spectro

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Mixing up your carry modes
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 12:30:17 PM »
Mixing sounds iike a fine idea.  This fall I'm going to try out my leather vest for the first time.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 02:07:01 PM »
I mix very little in fact and much is down to my work and life-style.  This means total choice over cover garments tho in and around home and office I open carry anyways.

In winter no probelm as always some shirt or other - long and open - could cover a cannon.  ;)  In heat of summer when needed cover going out - usually it is my light weight denim Smith and Alexander vest - I have pics if you wish, just say.

So - with few exceptions, my 226 ST is my always all the time carry and the pup takes up BUG status in pocket, or occasionally ankle.  Now and again restraints will make pup primary, again pocket carry.

One thing I do personally suggest to folks is - within your limitations and constraints, keep your carry regime constant.  I do not feel anyone gains anything by constant changes of gun, rig, carry position etc - come the day we all dread and hope never happens - and you have to draw - that gun had better be there and where you expect it to be!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Seven

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 05:34:48 PM »
Bill, if you got one of the Coronado Leather vests, you are in for a real treat!  I've had one for a while, and my Steyr S9 just disappears in it... and it is the most comfortable & stylin' 'holster' I own!

Like Science Fiction?  Read my novel for free:  
http://www.communionofdreams.com/

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 05:35:14 PM »
Chris,
Let's see the pictures.
LOL

I carry either on my right hip (paddle holster) or my right pants pocket (w/ holster normally).  If I do have a coat with me I may carry in a coat pocket.  Sometimes depending on the area in which I will be in I may carry an extra magazine.  When I carry heavy I take a Glock model 30 (mid size, .45cal, 11 rounds) and when I carry lighter I take the R9.  The whole reason for me in buying the R9 was how efficient the gun was meaning a small package and 7 rounds of 9mm.   If the situation arrives I will carry a bright compact tactical light. I love one hand opening knives (like Spyderco with their great round thumb hole, Kershaw with their spring assisted opening, CRKT, and Cold Steel).  I do like my bling, but carrying a gun is a hassle to tote around which is why I normally carry the R9.  I favor paddle holsters over belt holster because if you are going into a restaurant or on a long car drive you can remove the holster and gun and place it in your center consol or cloths pocket.  Inside the pants holster I have found to be uncomfortable for me.
Respectfully,
Jim

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 05:53:35 PM »
OK Jim - here you go - this is my (very) old vest, just recently replaced with new again.  Front right pocket gets worn from NAA Mini inside it - and button holes get ''tired'' too.

The pics were taken real quick so far from perfect!  In these pics too it looks pretty limp but after washing and starching it has a better shape.

Smith & Alexander, Garland, TX 75049, tel- 800-SA2-1911

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 07:26:18 PM »
Thanks Chris.  Well done!

I just notified a global concealed carry clothes company and they want you for a model.  I told them I am your agent and that you will not come cheap.  LOL

:D

RA_Bakken

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 08:41:17 PM »
Yeah, but I think they'll be a little worried...I mean, what kind of gun gear model chooses a brown belt and a black holster?

Hehehehe..... ::)

--Spectro

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 10:18:19 PM »
Price is ''negotiable'' Jim ;)

Spectro - color co-ordination is low on the list at my age!! ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

RA_Bakken

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 10:36:28 PM »
Well, then there's hope for me too!  :-)

I'm lucky to just look presentable when I leave home!

-Spectro

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 10:53:24 PM »
"Presentable" - hahaha - that's just another word for not going out nekkid ;D;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site