Author Topic: A 45acp design idea for new pilots at Rohrbaugh  (Read 42682 times)

Offline PocketRocketLover

A 45acp design idea for new pilots at Rohrbaugh
« on: October 13, 2014, 01:28:20 AM »
Hello All , Since I am logged in and just posted in the Wish List area here . I wanted to run another design idea up the flag pole for possibly the new pilots at Remington . I own an AMT BACKUP in 45acp . While MANY may think that tool is junk . I have shot and carried this tool for near 20 years with ZERO issues . Given the size and weight of that old timer . In todays market place . I am sure many would RUN from a small 24oz stainless pocket gun . But I , on the other hand , would LOVE to own a like sized pistol made from CNC materials like the R9 is . While the old AMT was made of cast parts or MIM parts . I am sure that with NEW machining and design . A smaller all metal 45 acp can be had today . I am not sure if the 45 can run with an aluminum frame like the R9 can . But I am certain MANY would jump on the band wagon and scoop up an all metal Rohrbaugh 45acp .
One last thing . I know the XDS45 and the CW45 are small 45 autos . But I held off on pick up one in hopes of seeing a 45 acp pup . Thanks for your time guys

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: A 45acp design idea for new pilots at Rohrbaugh
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 07:34:09 AM »
Check out Boberg's XR45.  It is all metal, 22.5oz, 6 +1 capacity, +P and 45 Super rated, and has a 3.75" barrel.

I have one and am experiencing magazine problems with it, but I am sure they will get it right. 

If I were advising anyone, I would wait until they work thru these problems.

P.S.  I have shot 45 Backups, if you like that pistol you would love the Boberg.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »
Check out Boberg's XR45.  It is all metal, 22.5oz, 6 +1 capacity, +P and 45 Super rated, and has a 3.75" barrel.

P.S.  I have shot 45 Backups, if you like that pistol you would love the Boberg.

But, it is not a 1911 style ACP is that is what he was actually wishing for.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:17:33 AM »

But, it is not a 1911 style ACP is that is what he was actually wishing for.

The 45 Backup is not a 1911 style either.

High Standard is making them again.  The one I shot years ago was junk.  He must have got a good one.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »

I too had an AMT that was junk.

An R-45 has been lusted for by many on this site for a long time.  There was actually a prototype that I held in my hands -- although not the tiny pocket pistol that people had envisioned.

Ultimately, however, this is an idea that is WAY down the road at Remington.  They have their hands full getting a 9mm and .380 ACP going.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 08:41:35 PM »
An update on the R45.

When we were being purchased by Remington last year, they did not show an interest in our R45 design at all and left it behind. They will most likely just introduce a .45 ACP of their own design. . . . . But ~ You never know.  ;)
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline mz368

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »
An update on the R45.

When we were being purchased by Remington last year, they did not show an interest in our R45 design at all and left it behind. They will most likely just introduce a .45 ACP of their own design. . . . . But ~ You never know.  ;)

First, welcome to the forum, Eric.  And thank you and Karl and all involved for making the sweetest carry pistol on the planet.

I was one who had a deposit on an R45 through Tom Watson, and even though larger than the R9, if the trigger mechanism felt the same, it would be an ideal belt (IWB or OWB) carry piece in combination with an R9.  The value of a consistent trigger feel cannot be overstated in carry pieces in my view.

I also have an original AMT backup in 45, and have wondered how that would be if translated into aluminum and steel with a reduced weight trigger.  The AMT is quite easy to conceal and if it were lighter and if made to R9 quality standards, it would have been amazing.

As for Remington leaving the 45 design on the table, I vote for that to be your's and Karl's next venture.  If it is, I'm in.

Chris

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 08:17:11 AM »
Thank you Chris for the welcome. Much appreciated Sir. As for an R45 of some type in the future. . . . . . Well, we have just under four more years to go to think about such a venture due to our contract, or. . . . simply continue to enjoy our retirement process.

My new/old venture of delving back into the arts has been difficult but rewarding thus far. I may find it easier experimenting with my Avant-garde improvisations in a solo venue, rather than looking for other players of the same mindset. That is my supply issue difficulty at this time.   ;)
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »
*** As for an R45 of some type in the future. . . . . . Well, we have just under four more years to go to think about such a venture due to our contract, or. . . . simply continue to enjoy our retirement process.

I waited two years for my R9.  I'll wait as long as it takes for the R45.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 01:14:30 PM »
X2 I can wait for an R45!

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 06:38:48 PM »
I would love an R45. I have an AMT Backup .45acp as well and it works great and feeds hollow points fine. The worst thing about it is the heavy trigger. I like the heel mag release as well since it's more secure. I got a few extra mags for it while CDNN was clearing them out. It's kind of my 6th string pocket piece behind MK9/938/R9, but I do carry it occasionally. I would also be for a high(er) quality version of the Backup with an aluminum frame. And better sights.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:40:59 PM by PsychoSword »

Offline AreB

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 11:03:51 AM »
I've also got an AMT. Heavy bugger, but mine runs even with +P. Boberg is a dead issue, I believe. Heizer is working on a tiny .45 auto, so ugly/functional I like it...but 28 ounces.  Ouch.

A custom 1911 'smith named Terry Tussey used to build a variation he called a "Junior" off a small Kimber. 3" barrel, Detonics-length grip, enough lightening work to get it down to 20 ounces. I just got brave enough to ask if he's still building same, and cost. I'll post some links when I get to my desk PC.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 11:47:42 AM »
This is pretty much Old School but Auston Behlert used to build these for FBI Agents and others.  It is SA/DA and I have a friend who has one and it runs great.  Way ahead of it's time.

I have a Seecamp DA/SA conversion with Smith and Wesson revolver sights on it like this one and they are great for shooting.

I was talking to Lee Jurras one time and he and Behlert were good friends.  Lee said that Elvis Presley kept Behlert busy for a whole year at one time building 1911's for gifts to his friends.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/pistols/seecamp-pistols/colt-1911-series-70-seecamp-tws-conversion-austin-behlert.cfm?gun_id=100684464

Offline AreB

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 12:49:57 PM »
I love the old-school cut-downs like Behlert did, and Cylinder and Slide still does. Also the Seventrees ASP, and  the others that paved the way for the S & W Chief's Special versions of the action that started with the Model 39.

Behlert was a pioneer. Seecamp too, had one of the tiny .25s, still think about a ,32 or .380.

I had an ODI Viking Combat, which was the production version of the Seecamp 1911 DA/SA conversion. My ODI was all-stainless, Commander-sized, decent fixed sights. Lack of a built-in hammer drop mechanism (to get to DA carry mode) bothered me. Sold it, closest thing I've got currently is a Para P12 LDA. Nice handful, but heavy.

Evidently the Boberg design isn't dead, it's not even as sick as the Rohrbaugh/Remington mash-up. Bond Arms, out of Texas, bought Boberg out and is bringing the pistol back to market (later this year...theoretically) as the Bond Arms Bullpup in 9mm. Bond is a good company, hope all goes well, and they get the 45 running too. That may scratch my itch...for a while.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 02:00:36 PM »