Author Topic: Brand new ammo, box all ragged  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Brand new ammo, box all ragged
« on: April 26, 2006, 07:35:51 PM »
I have purchased ammo over the Internet, and sometimes the boxes look like they went through some hard times.

It is not unusual  to get boxes with very ragged edges, while the ammo itself is new looking.

Of course, I put the vendor on my "do not buy" list, and look elsewhere for future purchases.

Do you think this stuff is left over from police departments, or somehow in the re-classified category?

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Brand new ammo, box all ragged
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 08:48:20 PM »
Bill:

There is a thriving international market in surplus ammunition.  Much of it comes from third-world countries, where it has been lying around for years in police and military storage.  I've seen the stuff sold by the carload, strictly on an "as is" basis.  

While wine, scotch, and bourbon can be improved by the passage of time, the same does not apply to ammunition.     ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 09:43:44 PM »
Thanks, Richard.

The last seller said he had received a special deal on the .45 Golden Sabers.  The yucky looking boxes were the special part.

That's going to be my last special deal.   :D

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 10:14:07 PM »
Don't be entirely put off tho - because I am sure there are deals that come about simply because in shipping originally, the boxes suffered some damage.  Thus making them ( the boxes) sub standard.  A further round of shipping probably only exaggerates the boxe's demize! ;D

I do think if the ammo is not damaged and is not excessively old - there are some good deals to be had - I mean, the box is throw-away - it's the contents I want in good shape! :)

There is some luck involved of course - sometimes good, sometimes not so good.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 12:03:03 AM »
Chris,

I forgot to mention that some boxes of "new" ammo have extra writing on them, as if they had been "re-classified".

"re-classified" is used rather loosely here, because I'm not sure what it means.

Perhaps a police department made some notations indicating it was time for their supply to be refreshed.

Who knows!

I'm making a determined effort to get brand new, fresh stuff.  If you pay top dollar, the shipment should live up to expectations.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 12:10:37 AM by Michigunner »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 12:07:59 AM »
Certainly for carry ammo - only top Dollar, I'd agree.  I have tho been lucky a few times with practice/plinking ammo for very good prices - almost always FMJ of course.

I did have one case of Bosnian 9mm std pressure at a real good price a year or two ago - but haven't found any more.  My ideal is if a guy at one club has a boatload of American Eagle 9mm spare then I can but that at better than WWB price.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.