Author Topic: My First FTF  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Writer_Ron

My First FTF
« on: February 19, 2010, 05:52:10 PM »
I suppose it was inevitable, but I finally had a failure-to-fire shooting my relatively new R9s. Happily there was only one in 28 rounds -- and the second strike did the trick.

The problem cartridge was a Federal Premium LE 124 grain H-S round -- from a newly purchased box of ammo. Seven "old" (pre-shortage) Federal Hydra-Shok 147 grain cartridges fired before the FTF worked fine, as did seven "new" Gold Dot 115 grain rounds and seven Win WhiteBox 115 grain FMJs (all fired later).

Assuming I recovered the right casing, the primer strike looks mighty shallow, which might point to a hard primer (supposedly unusual for Federal, but maybe a "feature" of their Law Enforcement ammo).

Also ... I don't know why, but the Gold Dots definitely felt hotter than the other rounds.

I guess I'll go with Gold Dot 115 grain like so many others.

Ron

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: My First FTF
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:02:20 PM »
Ron:

Thank you for the range report. The Gold Dots should serve you well.

If you haven't already done so, I might suggest that when you clean your R9 you take a close look at the firing pin assembly area to see if any shards of brass or other "break-in dreck" may have contributed to that shallow primer strike.

Good luck!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:51:28 PM »
Ron.  The Gold Dots should serve you well.  They're my backup should I ever run out of Silvertips.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:04:03 PM »
Ron,

One of my new best friends who works in ammo production at Hornady said that Federal makes the best primers, in his opinion, but they are unavailable to Hornady.

I would stick with your present plan unless KJ wants to share some of his Silvertip stash with you.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 05:52:49 AM »
What stash?    :)     :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln