Author Topic: Memorial Day 2010  (Read 2647 times)

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
Memorial Day 2010
« on: May 31, 2010, 01:23:18 AM »
This topic did not seem to fit entirely within the gudelines for existing threads, so I opened a new one. Apologies if this is out-of-line on this forum.
On Memorial Day 2010, I am going to my local range, with my sister and brother-in-law, to shoot.
I can think of little better to do, other than to offer a silent and abject tribute to those who have served their State and their Country when most needed, and paid the price for their initiation into a select group.
Simonides of  Ceos wrote after the battle of Thermoypylae c. 480 BC:
(Translated into rhythming English):
"Go, tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here obedient to their laws we lie."

There is nothing greater...

And on a local note, here in Minnesota, just one of a number of parties/celebrations was held this week, to welcome home the members of the Minnesota National Guard's 34th Infantry Division, also known as the 'Red Bulls', returning after their tour of duty in Iraq. More than 1000 of the MN Guard served in Iraq, headquartered at their base in Basra since last May. The troops were responsible for command and control of military forces in the southern third of Iraq.
They also helped ensure Iraqi Security Forces could protect Iraq and its people, helped develop Iraq's civil capacity and economic security and helped set the table for further troop withdrawals from the area.

We are a grateful State and Nation -- and individuals -- and bow our heads in tribute to those in all the past and present conflicts who made and continue to make our existence as a people and as a united country possible.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Memorial Day 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
whkrog, I agree, we owe our vet and service members so much for the life we all lead. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »
whkrog.  Your comments are appreciated.  Our nation is a greater place due to our Armed Forces.  Our testiment to them cannot ever be over emphasized.

Richard.  Great photo with a big meaning!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln