Author Topic: R9s vs R9  (Read 11943 times)

Offline Woo_Woo

Re: R9s vs R9
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2005, 03:49:44 AM »
Awesome, thank you R9SCarry, I will definitely have to do that the next time I go shooting, hopefully by next weekend.  I'll admit, I was strongly debating whether to get the R9 with or without sights (when I finally do get to order one), and I think this thread actually made up my mind.  As it was said before, it is better to have it and not need it than vice versa.
Steve

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2005, 06:10:59 PM »
Hi Mismatch,
I wanted a R-9s but could only get a R-9 at a gun show. I do ok "point" shooting without sights out to about 15 feet. After that I don't do as well, though I still keep most hits in a 12" area in the target out to about 21'. I know that most deadly force confrontations "usally" take place within 10', but I believe that Murphy was an optimist, and that if I ever have to defend myself or my family the BGs (Bad Guys) may be farther away. So as I've always told my kids, "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." I see we think alike in that area. The sights on the R-9 are not that big and I don't think they would cause any type of problem drawing the weapon. If fact I had a problem with my R-9 slide and sent it to Rohrbaugh for repair. I asked that the R-9 slide be replaced with a R-9s sighted slide. Karl Rohrbaugh was kind enough to do that for me, so I'm looking forward to shooting my "sighted" R-9s.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:51:51 PM by ed5380 »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2005, 07:37:35 PM »
Now that is a good deal!!
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
  • " A armed society is a polite society"
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2005, 09:39:58 PM »
Greetings Edman,

Please excuse the long delay in responding to your post.

Putting things up for the winter has made me neglectful, and of course taken me away from this " Great Forum". I usually don't post unless I have something meaningful to say!

Your move to have a sighted R9 was a good one, as you are aware by the previous post I had the same concern myself. The R9s is a awesome little handgun, and the accuracy is uncanny, I'm affiliated with many full time shooters and all that have fired my R9s could not believe how accurate it was.

I have had my R9s since mid July and have fired over 500 rounds through it, myself and friends together that is.  

I had did a report after the first 300 rounds, and had only 3 malfunctions and two of those were most probably my fault ( rounds not push tight against the mag wall and possibly releasing the mag while gripping the pistol.  But.... but.... after changing out the spring after the first 400 rounds I've had many FTF, and numerous jamming problems. The feed ramp is polished like a mirror, and it seems to do this regardless of the ammo that I am using, so I'm a bit concerned about the reliability of my " PUP" .  I will go back to the original spring and see if the problem still exist.

I also might mention that I did the " Drop Test " with my R9s ... ( unintentionally )  I was accustomed to carrying the Pup in a DeSantis front pocket or RJ,s rear pocket holster, and I purchased a Kydex paddle, and had begun to carry it in that mode,........well..... to make a long story short after arising from the pot I stood up and the Pup went flying out of the paddle and hit the tile floor with a loud noise  ( which my wife heard from the other room ) other than the chip taken out of the tile, there was no damage to the pup at all, I immediately went out back and emptied the mag that was in the gun and it fired flawlessly,  this was of course with the first and original spring.  And that sick feeling in the pit of the stomach subsided, man was I ever scared!  The Pup is now place on the counter before I even think of doing any other business  ;)
mismatch

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2005, 09:47:29 AM »
mismatch, I know the feeling. It happened to me one time with my Seecamp .32 in a public restroom in the world trade center. The guy in the stall next to me jumped out of his skin and got the heck out of the bathroom with me to follow.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »
I realize you've probably already heard this, but you did check to make sure the spring is in correctly, right? -- I too have tested the drop test, but mine stayed in it's RJ holster -- got knocked off the nightstand
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2005, 07:40:11 PM »
LOL, .. Tom that is pretty funny, thank the good Lord I was not in the World Trade Center, I'm sure my pulse what have quicken twice the rate that it was here in my own home.

You know like you, I have been around weapons and all types of firearms my entire life, even worked as a professional gunsmith for two years, but one never knows with even the most caution what can happen. How many safety classes I have taught, and something like this can still happen, the irony of a situation like that is maddening. Can never drop your guard.   :-[
mismatch

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2005, 07:47:42 PM »
Greetings Aglifter,  yes I'm positive the spring was properly placed correctly.  Like I had mentioned I will go back to the original spring and give it another try.

I don't believe I will be doing the drop test again any time soon it is utmost on my mind whenever I have to detach myself from my trousers.

Thank you for your concern, I'm always open to criticism and suggestions.
mismatch

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2005, 11:12:38 PM »
Hi Mismatch,
I understand about not being able to get online here everyday, work and other chores always seem to get in the way of important things like, playing golf, skiing, shooting and reading posts on this forum. I have my pup back from Karl R. It now has a sighted slide, so I guess it is now a R-9s. First shot with the new slide at 15 feet firing a Speer 115 grain GDHP – dead center in the bull’s eye! Subsequent shots were all within 1 1/2 inches of that. I've had a couple failure to fires with UMC 115 gr FMJ, but that may have been hard primers. With only about 40 rounds fired with the new slide I feel I'm still breaking it in.

Good luck with working out the problems with your pup.

Ed