Author Topic: New member  (Read 7232 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: New member
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »
Agreed, and a fun time for most!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 07:23:11 PM »
Congratulations, Navy!

(For a while there in the first quarter, I had real hope.)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 08:09:12 PM »

Thanks, Richard. I left before the half for a hair-cut thinking it would be a tight one. The things I loved most about the occasion were the spirit, unity, and stature of our fine young men and women in uniform who are committed to excellence.  

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 08:47:52 PM »
tracker, I also was hopeful in the first half. then Navy launched  from the waist cat on the first drive of the second half which changed everything. a crisp salute to those fine men and women who go to the service academies.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 08:48:07 PM »
Excellent comradery, for sure.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:27:38 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 10:36:42 PM »
Tom,

When you mentioned "waist cat" I had some instant flashbacks to 1965 off the coast from Seattle on the Hornet, CVS-12. It was a very cold, windy day and we were sitting on the aft end of the ship waiting to taxi forward to the catapults, I thought. Pointed down the angled deck, the Catapult Officer gave us a full power turn-up signal, followed by a launch signal. This was a shock to me as I had never done a free deck launch from a carrier deck. Being a good sailor, I released the brakes and started the take-off roll, very slowly at first. The ferocious wind sent us airborne very quickly, settling a bit below the deck after lift-off, but all was well and we turned eastward toward Seattle. This was an S-2, a twin-engine prop, Grumman aircraft that was built like a tank.
Sorry for the severe thread drift but the memory was riveting.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 08:14:07 AM »
I thought Army might give Navy a good game yesterday but they lost. Army lost game and became bowl ineligible.

I hate when that happens.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ed_K

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 10:54:07 AM »
I never thought otherwise

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 06:43:59 PM »
Ed.  Nice tie tacs.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:45:25 PM by kjtrains »