Author Topic: The Next Boberg?  (Read 7746 times)

Offline Ljutic

• Master
The Next Boberg?
« on: August 16, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
Re: The Next Boberg?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:37:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing, very interesting write up. Arine has taken a new approach in a very traditional industry and I hope that it pays off for him.
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 06:02:51 PM »
Ljutic,

It is a very informative post. I have not done a great deal of research on the Boberg "S" but I would be interested in seeing and feeling this model.
 I thought I read something that they are coming out with a .45ACP. I wonder who will get one to the market first; Boberg of Rohrbaugh?

Robar233

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:53:41 PM »
Ljutic,

It is a very informative post. I have not done a great deal of research on the Boberg "S" but I would be interested in seeing and feeling this model.
 I thought I read something that they are coming out with a .45ACP. I wonder who will get one to the market first; Boberg of Rohrbaugh?

Robar233

They are coming out with a .45 at some point.  Not sure it it will be 45 GAP or 45 ACP.  Rumors of both have been floating around. 
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »
The original Boberg sorta' leaves me cold.
This one looks more like something I could
warm up to. I already have a Micro 9. That
X9R-L in a .40 S&W could get me to open
my wallet.

BTW Ljutic, another truly great Blog!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:12:03 AM »
The original Boberg sorta' leaves me cold.
This one looks more like something I could
warm up to. I already have a Micro 9. That
X9R-L in a .40 S&W could get me to open
my wallet.

BTW Ljutic, another truly great Blog!

I agree with you on Ljutic's work.

I think to truly appreciate a Boberg, you must handle it and shoot it.  After a range session it starts to look a lot better.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »
Thanks for the comments on the blog.

I agree that the Shorty carries and shoots better than it looks.  The L just looks better with the reshaped trigger guard and longer snout.  The ballistic advantage really shines with this model.  Even though I've compared to the G19, I've been told the 4.2" Boberg barrel matches or exceeds the 4.5" Glock barrel in the G17.  I'm skeptical and Arne knows that, but I'm more than willing to keep an open mind and run a fair test on those claims.  If it pans out, that's a huge accomplishment.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 01:26:06 PM »
I chronographed Federal HST 124 +P, Hornady Critical Duty 135 +P, and Speer Gold Dot 124 through a Boberg XR9s, Kahr PM9, and a Kimber Solo.  The PM9 was 5 to 10 fps slower and the Solo was about 30 to 40 fps slower than the Boberg.  I think that they use fast burning powders in these self defense loads to keep the flash down.  Anyway the longer barrel really did not give the extra performance I expected or Boberg advertises.  I talked to Arne on this and he is aware that many common self defense loads perform this way.

Offline Ghost Chili

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »
I browsed the Boberg forum about the L model and I was not able to find info regarding if this larger model will have a slide stop release lever on it.  I would really like to see the pistol have a last shot lock open feature.  If Boberg starts producing the L model, I would likely put my order in for one. 

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »
I browsed the Boberg forum about the L model and I was not able to find info regarding if this larger model will have a slide stop release lever on it.  I would really like to see the pistol have a last shot lock open feature.  If Boberg starts producing the L model, I would likely put my order in for one.

Hi Jason. 

As with all things in life you usually have to give up one thing to get something else.  The feed system that allows for the longer barrel also makes it impossible to include a last round lock open feature.  The Boberg feed system pulls the cartridge from the magazine before pushing it into the chamber. 

Offline Ghost Chili

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
Hi Bruce!  Thanks for the coverage of the new happenings with the Boberg on your blog.  I also noticed the magazines lack a follower so I suppose that can complicate the issue.  Oh well, it still is a really cool pistol.  I really like how it looks with the longer snout. 

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »
In the example given I would expect the dominant influence would be the negative of the much shorter sight radius vs. the dubious positive of a fractionally longer barrel.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
In the example given I would expect the dominant influence would be the negative of the much shorter sight radius vs. the dubious positive of a fractionally longer barrel.

If I was planning on shooting 25 Yard NRA Bullseye matches with it, I would agree with you.  Fortunately, that's not the purpose of the XR9-L or the Glock 19.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 11:06:45 AM »
Fair enough, but...

I'm well acquainted with the purpose of the Glock 19. I've carried one for twenty years and never been to a bullseye match.

I stand by it.

I'll take 3/4s of an inch sight radius over less than 2/10ths of an inch barrel length every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Neither is a huge deal, but the former has some potential value while I don't believe the latter does at all.  :)

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 04:01:43 PM »
Fair enough, but...

I'm well acquainted with the purpose of the Glock 19. I've carried one for twenty years and never been to a bullseye match.

I stand by it.

I'll take 3/4s of an inch sight radius over less than 2/10ths of an inch barrel length every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Neither is a huge deal, but the former has some potential value while I don't believe the latter does at all.  :)

You sir are more than welcome to have the last word on the value of sight radius.  Enjoy!