Author Topic: 1911 Recommendations?  (Read 5736 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
1911 Recommendations?
« on: October 02, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »
You guys familiar with the 1911's? I am all over the board…Ed Brown Exec. Carry/4.25, Wilson CQB, Bill Wilson Carry, Wilson Combat and then in a different price range a Colt Defender, a Sig 1911, and finally the Kimber 1911's. The Kimbers excite me. A friend of mine said that Kimbers are meant to  be shown to your friends, and Colts are meant to be shown to the enemy….hmmmmmmm. Your thoughts? Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:34:16 PM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: 1911 Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 09:56:12 PM »
Additionally, I would seriously consider the Springfield Range Officer, now offered in a 4" barrel version, and a Dan Wesson Valor with a trigger pull of 4.25# and no creep which also doesn't use any MIM parts.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/09/jeremy-s/gun-review-dan-wesson-valor/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:03:23 PM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 11:04:26 PM »
Additionally, I would seriously consider the Springfield Range Officer, now offered in a 4" barrel version, and a Dan Wesson Valor with a trigger pull of 4.25# and no creep which also doesn't use any MIM parts.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/09/jeremy-s/gun-review-dan-wesson-valor/

That is an impressive looking and from the sounds of it operating 1911. If I was in the market for a 1911 I would be taking a serious look at a Dan Wesson. You can spend $1000 plus for 1911 and have nothing more special than anyone else. My Kimber Ultra Carry II is kinda cool, but other than being proper size for carry IMO I would much rather have the DW.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Svarog

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 08:45:33 AM »
Hi. Few months back I bought a Sig 1911 Nightmare (Traditional slide). I 'm dont know much about 1911's my self, but this firearm is absolutely amazing! Love it! Just my 2 cents ;)

Offline mz368

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 07:18:07 AM »
Have never had the luck of owning a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, or Nighthawk.  Having said that, I have owned Para, Kimber, Colt, including a full custom built Govt (back in the 1980s), S&W,  Dan Wesson and Guncrafter Industries.  Never owned a Springfield or the other brands out there.

My Guncrafter Industries CCO is the tightest 1911 I have ever experienced (and I bought it used) and has never failed to function 100%.  Many say it is the equal of the big three.  I think it is finished to a slightly higher degree than DW, but in truth, hard to justify the 30-50% more in cost over DW.

The DWs are without doubt the best bang for the buck that one can get in the 1911 platform.  Mine have all been tight, accurate, and functioned 100%.  Other pluses are a great finish, understated classic looks (discreet - no billboard - slide markings), trigger breaks that are just amazing, no mim parts, and great customer service.  Anyone that appreciates the quality of a Rohrbaugh, should appreciate a DW.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »
My Ed Brown Special Forces .45 is equally impressive, at least to me; tight, accurate, great grip and balance and has never had a failure to feed or fire.  Great finish, but all black and not flashy....downside is the expense, but it was my 70th birthday present.

I must say though that my Kimber Ultra CDPII in .45 is also accurate  for its barrel length, has a really good trigger (although not the equal of the EB), and always goes "bang" when it is supposed to.  With a good OWB is is easy to carry under proper clothing.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 07:57:58 AM »
*** A friend of mine said that Kimbers are meant to  be shown to your friends, and Colts are meant to be shown to the enemy….hmmmmmmm. Your thoughts? Thanks.

I'm old fashioned. I tend to agree with your friend.    ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 08:47:16 AM »
Kimber pioneered the production of affordable high quality 1911's that right out of the box had many of the qualities of a modified and tweeked pistol.  I've never had a problem of any sort with my Ultra CDPII in 5 years.  It is accurate, has night sights, a great sight picture and a trigger action that is not far behind my Ed Brown, but for1/3 the price.  The trigger is  actually a little light for safe carry and perhaps better for target work in that respect.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline pjames32

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 11:02:59 PM »
I carry a LW Colt Commander, my wife a Kimber pro carry II. Both run well and are as small a 1911 that we own. I put a laser on my wife's gun. 3 dots on mine. The Kimber is more finicky on my lead bullet loads.

Offline MaddogR9

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 09:07:42 AM »
As others have said: "If I want a good shooting 1911 pick the one that I shoot the best with, feels the best in My hand, and I am proud to own".  The target doesn't know my brand.  There are so many options and size variations it comes down to personal preference. That aside, We are Rohrbaugh owners...I assume you bought it based upon the quality, the size, functionality, the desired carry characteristics etc.... It wasn't cheap.....and I have found not many gun owners know much about them....You could have bought a nice Kahr PM9 and had a nice functional small 9mm, but You bought a Rohrbaugh.....so price wasn't the driving decision maker.  For carry purpose and generals shooting I have retained only 3- 1911's in my collection..... and I love them. All are manufactured by Ed Brown.

At first I was looking for one I could carry if I chose too..... I checked out S&W, Springfield, Kimber, STI, Akia, Para, etc..... In addition to the typical production manufacturers I tried what I saw as the best custom 1911's available... Les Baer, Wilson combat, and Ed Brown.  They are all fantastic...None of these are cheap.   My favorite carry 1911 is my Kobra carry from Ed Brown.....its a commander size / full size grip, takes standard 1911 magazines, the fit and finish is fantastic, the cosmetic quality is breathtaking (as a gun owner), the trigger is excellent (doesn't do it justice), and the size is perfect for my situation. 

It's Heavy enough to manage the 45cal recoil, small enough to conceal, and I hit what I aim at. It's a much better carry 45 cal (for me) then my Glock 30S ( which I think is a great pistol).  When I ordered my Kobra carry I had concerns about possible buyers remorse; due to the price, and my fear that after using it I would find I spent a lot simply on cosmetics.........I have not regretted buying my Kobra carry one mila-sec..... I love shooting it, and love showing it off as the fine shooter it is..... Cost only comes up when they ask about ordering one.  The Kobra Carry is in my daily carry rotation of three pistols, and has been for years; My primary daily carry for many years is my Rohrbaugh R9, great concealment whether wearing a suit or shorts....my current winter (or getting dirty) carry is my Glock 30S, and my sport coat or casual shirt-out carry is my Kobra carry. I have other pistol options but this is my favorite carry rotation.  My other two 1911's are also Ed Brown models.  One is a safe queen, and the other is a full size "Ed Brown Custom Classic" that I order directly from the factory to my exact custom spec.  I setup the classic for single-action competition shooting....magwell, extended mag release, fiber optic front sight, etc...... My Ed Brown's handled all brands of ammo.....and the only issue I have ever had is with one of the Tijicon front sights on my daily carry which was a sight manufacturer warranty.......

I recommend to friends and family- Ed Brown 1911's......but it's personnel preference.  I own a Rohrbaugh because it fits my needs, satisfies my wants, I am proud of the quality, and it was my personnal choice....... Same with my Ed Brown 1911's.  If you are looking at competing.....I would check out a custom STI...but if single stack competition is your plan or simply want one of the best pistols available......buy a Ed Brown. 😎
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:13:36 AM by MaddogR9 »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »
As others have said: "If I want a good shooting 1911 pick the one that I shoot the best with, feels the best in My hand, and I am proud to own".  The target doesn't know my brand.  There are so many options and size variations it comes down to personal preference. That aside, We are Rohrbaugh owners...I assume you bought it based upon the quality, the size, functionality, the desired carry characteristics etc.... It wasn't cheap.....and I have found not many gun owners know much about them....You could have bought a nice Kahr PM9 and had a nice functional small 9mm, but You bought a Rohrbaugh.....so price wasn't the driving decision maker.  For carry purpose and generals shooting I have retained only 3- 1911's in my collection..... and I love them. All are manufactured by Ed Brown.

At first I was looking for one I could carry if I chose too..... I checked out S&W, Springfield, Kimber, STI, Akia, Para, etc..... In addition to the typical production manufacturers I tried what I saw as the best custom 1911's available... Les Baer, Wilson combat, and Ed Brown.  They are all fantastic...None of these are cheap.   My favorite carry 1911 is my Kobra carry from Ed Brown.....its a commander size / full size grip, takes standard 1911 magazines, the fit and finish is fantastic, the cosmetic quality is breathtaking (as a gun owner), the trigger is excellent (doesn't do it justice), and the size is perfect for my situation. 

It's Heavy enough to manage the 45cal recoil, small enough to conceal, and I hit what I aim at. It's a much better carry 45 cal (for me) then my Glock 30S ( which I think is a great pistol).  When I ordered my Kobra carry I had concerns about possible buyers remorse; due to the price, and my fear that after using it I would find I spent a lot simply on cosmetics.........I have not regretted buying my Kobra carry one mila-sec..... I love shooting it, and love showing it off as the fine shooter it is..... Cost only comes up when they ask about ordering one.  The Kobra Carry is in my daily carry rotation of three pistols, and has been for years; My primary daily carry for many years is my Rohrbaugh R9, great concealment whether wearing a suit or shorts....my current winter (or getting dirty) carry is my Glock 30S, and my sport coat or casual shirt-out carry is my Kobra carry. I have other pistol options but this is my favorite carry rotation.  My other two 1911's are also Ed Brown models.  One is a safe queen, and the other is a full size "Ed Brown Custom Classic" that I order directly from the factory to my exact custom spec.  I setup the classic for single-action competition shooting....magwell, extended mag release, fiber optic front sight, etc...... My Ed Brown's handled all brands of ammo.....and the only issue I have ever had is with one of the Tijicon front sights on my daily carry which was a sight manufacturer warranty.......

I recommend to friends and family- Ed Brown 1911's......but it's personnel preference.  I own a Rohrbaugh because it fits my needs, satisfies my wants, I am proud of the quality, and it was my personnal choice....... Same with my Ed Brown 1911's.  If you are looking at competing.....I would check out a custom STI...but if single stack compeition is your plan or simply want one of the best pistols available......buy a Ed Brown. 😎
« Last Edit: Today at 09:10:04 AM by MaddogR9 »

I too just purchased a new Ed Brown Kobra Carry. I researched the death out of all of the higher end 1911s. I originally purchased the Dan Wesson Valor V-BOB in stainless. Beautiful gun. I thought that it was the best bang for the buck…until I saw , felt, handled, and awed the Kobra. Unbelievable. The only negative I could find anywhere on the web was that Ed Brown is rude at the Shot Show. Like I care. So now I face the dilemma that carrying this beauty will subject it to wear and tear. This is what I went thru when I bought my R9 Cogan. Such dilemmas in life, huh?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MaddogR9

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 09:57:58 AM »
I can relate about scarring my beauty.  I am surprised by how well it's held up.  My years of daily carry R9 is scarred badly around the trigger guard from my Crossbreed holster.. I have a Crossbreed for the Kobra carry but I don't use it... I have a excellent Leather Brigade IWB holster.  Troy made me a thing of  beautiy......So far so good.  He is making me one for my Rohrbaugh as we speak......

I have seen the web and YouTube comments about EB being rude....I have never met Mr. brown, but it's His gunsmithing rep that first caught my attention.  I can only coment on dealing directly with the factory....having picked up each of my purchases myself, order online parts, and in my experience I have only been treated with respect and kindness.  They want it right... I messed up a web parts order a month or so ago, and Justin called me because they caught the problem....  He is the guy you see in the takedown videos.  He also called a couple weeks after my Custom Classic pickup to see how my range test worked out.... he didn't have to do that.... 

Best of luck with your new hardware.
Matt
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:59:44 AM by MaddogR9 »