Author Topic: Taurus revolver in 41, 44 or 357  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Taurus revolver in 41, 44 or 357
« on: September 01, 2006, 07:46:47 PM »
I should spend my money on one of Tom's lovely guns, but I would like something to leave in Zambia -- it's pretty simple to get a handgun there, (and completely legal) but impossible, as far as I know, to get one back.  And Tom's guns are entirely too nice to leave behind.

Well, if I can get the papers arranged that I need to be able to CCW there, then I'll probably go with a Taurus 5 shot revolver with a shrouded hammer in steel/maybe Ti (I can get it into the country easily, but due to having to fly through euroweenie land, there's no real way to bring it back -- hence all my current, nice pistols stay at home.)

Anyone have experience with one of those Ti Taurus revolvers in 41 or 44 mag?  Or a smaller steel Taurus in those calibers?  If I can't pull of the CCW stuff, I'll at least want a sidearm while hunting, esp. since I'll probably do at least a little bird hunting (no real interest in hunting lions, but I'd happily wander the earth chasing birds and fish.)

I understand the Ti 41's are supposed to be pretty brutal to shoot, but it's basically a desperation gun -- after all, not too many of us really enjoy shooting high volumes through the Rohrbaugh either.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline dr16

• Sharpshooter
Re:  Taurus revolver in 41, 44 or 357
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 05:42:01 PM »
I had one of the light ones (#445?) either a 2 or 3 inch in 45 LC. I bought it for a car gun that I could leave in the console with  the integral lock when I flew. With the porting and the rubber grip, it was not a bad shooter.

It shaved lead pretty badly and had a trigger pull in DA that was not very good. I decided not to play the shipping game with customer no-service and traded it off.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 02:38:35 PM »
I had a total titanium Taurus in .44 special.  Very light for a large bore snubbie.  Worked fine -- I just didn't like the porting (hot gases & debris in your face -- not to mention LOUD). However, the ribber grip makes shooting comfortable.

I sold the the .44 but have since picked up a Titanium Ultra-lite in .38 special with the Crimson Trace grips as a hotel bedside table gun.

For use as you describe, one should serve you well.  If the potential to need it for encounters with "paws with claws" exists, I'd go for the .44 Magnum.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 11:45:41 PM »
I have a 3" barrel all stainless steel Taurus .44 mag. with fixed sights and factory porting.  The gun has worked fine so far, and shoots very close to point of aim out to 25 yards, something that is not very common for fixed sight handguns.  With the Uncle Mike's rubber grips, it isn't too unpleasant to shoot, and I believe anyone who doesn't mind shooting a 13 oz. 9mm will not find a gun like this to be much worse.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.