Author Topic: Kel-Tec  (Read 3546 times)

Offline ken

Kel-Tec
« on: September 01, 2006, 12:16:18 AM »
Kel-Tec 32 going back to Coca, Fl again for repair. Slide will not release even after inserting full mag. This happened twice last Sunday at the range. The first time I stuck a screwdriver in to release it, but the second time I just left it and boxed it up. First time it went back because it stopped extracting at all. The other 32 we have broke the trigger linkage. This is all with plain ole Federal ball ammo. Save your money buy a Skyy or something else if you want a plastic gun. Both Karhs, the Rohrbaugh, and the Glock all shot great though. :-/ >:(

Offline GAPhatty

Re: Kel-Tec
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 10:15:06 AM »
Ken:

Sorry to hear one of your puppies is misbehaving.  I've heard from many owners of the Kel-Tecs that they're either good or bad.  Like all guns of that size, they have some tendencies toward FTF or FTE if they're not fed their favorite ammo or cleaned and lubed liberally.

Just started with a new KT P3-AT and so far so good - first range session remarkably smooth - no failures although chambering the first round from a new clip always felt a little 'sticky' - slide required slight push - I expect this to loosen up as I put more rounds through and maybe lightly buff the ramp.  These guns are definitely not Glocks, but then Glock doesn't make a pocket gun. :)

Offline eblackhawk

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 08:39:21 PM »
I have a 1st gen P3-AT and my son has a 2nd gen and we have easily put  1000 rounds each through 'em with not so much as a cough, sneeze or hiccup!
                                                   Eric

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 09:03:29 PM »
Some people are happy with the Kel-Tec and some are not.  My .32 would not eject a full mag so I never used it after.

Get a Seecamp and join the Seecamp Forum.

Eric
My brother has a P3-AT and is happy with it - more happy after he got his RJ holster -- Thanks RJ.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 09:07:01 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 04:00:09 AM »

Get a Seecamp and join the Seecamp Forum.

i love my Seecamp.I bought it 10+ years ago when $800.00 was a good price if you could find them for that.I think my R9s is going to be an instant classic as well.

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 04:00:26 AM »
I love my Seecamp.I bought it 10+ years ago when $800.00 was a good price if you could find them for that.I think my R9s is going to be an instant classic as well.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 01:23:46 PM »
i love my Seecamp.I bought it 10+ years ago when $800.00 was a good price if you could find them for that.I think my R9s is going to be an instant classic as well.

Now I don't feel quite as bad, I paid $700 for my first .32 Seecamp.

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 06:37:38 PM »
If you are using a Kel-Tec P-32, please make sure you test the gun when loaded 7+1.  I believe you will find, as I did, that the 9 lb. factory recoil springs are insufficient when there are 7 rounds in the magazine and (as happens about 1/3 to 1/2 the time) the rim of the top round is in the groove of the round below it.  11 lb. Wolff recoil springs are a necessity with this gun.

The extra power firing pin spring that comes with the recoil springs is also a good idea.  My factory firing pin spring was worthless after about 1,000 rounds.  Just make sure you back out the firing pin screw 1/4 turn after you put it all the way back in so the pin can move freely, and loctite it in place.

With those exceptions, my P-32 has been a very reliable gun, and is the only pocket pistol above .22 or .25 caliber I have ever seen that has truly comfortable recoil.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.