Author Topic: WOW!  VA. EARTHQUAKE FELT HERE IN NC  (Read 3614 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
WOW!  VA. EARTHQUAKE FELT HERE IN NC
« on: August 23, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »
Va. earthquake.  Dont't know how many felt this, however, we felt the house shake a short while ago  in NC.  Weird, for sure.  Now waiting for maybe after shocks.

No earthquake this size, 5.8, since May 5, 1897, on the east coast.  

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:53:33 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: WOW!  VA. EARTHQUAKE FELT HERE IN NC
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
I felt my office shaking in Northeastern PA. All is well here.

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:28:59 PM »
Talked to my youngest brother, who's in Norfolk, VA, and they felt some of the rumbling - no damage though.

I've experienced a number of earthquakes - the largest/strongest being an 8.2.  :o  That one jammed for just over a minute.  The first aftershock was 6.5.  That cured me from ever wanting to experience any ever again.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »
That's astonishing!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:36:11 PM »
What's going on out there kj?  An earthquake and a hurricane in the same week!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 08:55:41 PM »
MRC.  Well, thank goodness the earthquake was just a very light shaking effect, athough, something I've never felt before.  Didn't know what it was until a few minutes later, the TV had details of what had happened.

Now, the hurricane coming this weekend..........don't know about that; news has it, that winds could reach 131 mph; hope that's not here.  We'll remain braced for the unknown, for now.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 10:12:30 PM »
We felt it in southeast Pennsylvania.  My wife at first thought it was the clothes washer out of balance but then figured it was a little more shaking than that.  

News showed a house chimney that fell down, a big tree branch fell on a house.  Not much damage really.

Hope all are ok.

Craig T.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 10:51:47 PM »
I talked to a friend this afternoon who's Son lives in Philly and he said he had things falling off the shelves.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 12:35:04 AM »
I talked to some folks in the area and they just thought KJ was running a few rounds of 454 through his Alaskan Ruger again.  ;D
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:40:33 AM »
I talked to some folks in the area and they just thought KJ was running a few rounds of 454 through his Alaskan Ruger again.  ;D

;D

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 09:08:52 AM »
kj  -  Watch those wind speeds.  I have a daughter in New Orleans and when they predict 130 mph winds they plywood the windows and head to Northern Mississippi for a short vaction.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »
I was here in East Tennessee some 100 miles from Bristol, VA/TN, working in my home office on the second floor of our renovated 101-year-old brick, lathe, and plaster house, looking up occasionally to watch CNN's coverage of the Libyan rebels taking Gadhafi's compound in Tripoli, when I felt a very slight tremor lasting about 15 seconds. My first thought was that there had been another minor shift in the Eastern Tennessee Seismic Zone, which is subject to frequent small temblors. A few minutes later, CNN interrupted its Libyan coverage with news of the shallow quake having its epicenter in the area near Mineral, Virginia, measuring 5.8 on the Richter magnitude scale, and being felt all the way up the eastern seabord as far as New York City.  

At the time the event occurred, my wife was on the bench in her courtroom at the Justice Center, a three-story brick and block building with concrete floors located about a mile from our home.  When I picked her up at the end of the day, she had neither felt nor heard of the earthquake.

Thankfully, I have not heard of any casualties from the quake. My sympathy goes out to those who suffered property loss from the event.    
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:38:23 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »
kj  -  Watch those wind speeds.  I have a daughter in New Orleans and when they predict 130 mph winds they plywood the windows and head to Northern Mississippi for a short vaction.

Will do, MRC.  One of our daughters has a condo at Myrtle Beach, SC, so we'll be keeping a close watch on the updates.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:36:42 PM by kjtrains »