Author Topic: tired of waiting  (Read 18642 times)

Offline rooster

tired of waiting
« on: April 02, 2005, 09:52:56 AM »
Hi guys just needed some place to vent.  I am starting to have doubt about getting the r9.  I have been waiting since November, I have bought ammo and 2 holsters waiting for this pistol to come to my dealer.  Now they are having a price increase, and no sign of shipping any guns.  I am seriously considering the Kahr pm9.  There is a gun show in my area the 3rd week in April, and there is a dealer there that has 2 r9s in stock but he wants 1125.00 for them.  I need to trade a pistol because I don't have that kind of cash.  I am going to get one or the other at that show.  But 1125.00 is starting to get ridiculous.  I know that this is a really nice pistol but reality is starting to set in.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: tired of waiting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 12:34:48 PM »
Rooster, I know the frustration in waiting for anything. First, the R9 is worth the wait. Second, the price increase is only on guns ordered after 3/31/05. Third, does your dealer have the gun priced at an amount you can live with? Fourth, the Rohrbaugh folks are shipping guns and catching up on orders! Check with your dealer and find out when he ordered the gun you are waiting on. If it was in November, you will see one most likely late summer. Just a guess! But it is still worth the wait. Some of my customers waited an additional 4-5 months to get their guns after the move to a new larger plant. They all are enjoying their R9's. All of us with R9s have gone thru the wait and are happy we did that. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 12:58:21 PM »
That price you quote sounds rather like profiteering!  Those two R9's would have been in stock pre price increase and so should be available at the original price or near too it.  

I would be inclined to challenge this, although of course, any dealer can charge whatever he/she wants to - but this seems decidedly excessive.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 02:19:03 PM »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline rooster

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 04:00:47 PM »
When I asked the dealer in question about why he was asking 1125.00 when the manufacturer's retail price was in the 900.00 range I was told that if I could get one he would give me the difference.  I looked at the guns on the gunsamerica website but I need to trade a pistol and do the difference in cash.  I will probably wait but its just getting really starting to get at me.  Thanks guys.
Rooster

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 04:19:19 PM »
Like everything else the supply and demand thing is happening..The waiting is worth it though if you can hang in there.. ;)
Good luck.. :)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 06:06:52 PM »
You should take the leap to buying and selling online and forget that local trade-in racket.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline BamaTex

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 07:42:07 PM »
Rooster,
Like you I ordered my R9 in November. I finally gave up and cancelled the order. I had a change of heart and decided I NEEDED one and I am now on the Irish Guard's waiting list.
I am lucky enough to live close by and also lucky that he had a spot open.

I almost bought a R9 on gunbroker.com. They have had several that started in the high $800's. Not sure what they sold for, but I bet it was less than the $1125, you are being quoted.

I tried contacting Arego's (gunsamerica.com) and they kept telling me to call them. I emailed and said I could not call from work. He sounded like he had the R9 in stock.

Anyway, I was frustrated, but things will work out now.  

If you decide you really need this gun, you will find a way.

BamaTex  

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 07:53:00 PM »
Rooster,

Why not post your trade in gun in the classifieds section of this forum?  It may be that someone here has a need for it and you will both be happy.

I have learned never to trade in squat.  If you do it with a car, you get hosed.  Same thing with anything else.  It's just my opinion, but if you are waiting anyway, why not try to sell it straight out?  Doesn't seem like you would have much to lose.  Plus, if you do sell it, your dependency on this gun dealer goes away.

Just something to think about.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 11:05:30 PM »
Yes, R-9s are definitely being shipped -- don't fret about that.  

$1,125 is ridiculous, charge what the market will bear, profiteering.  Its the same guys that were selling Kel-Tec P-3ATs for $400...

I had the same situation when I bought my Chrysler PT Cruiser when they were first released.  I could pay a $4k premium over full sticker price to get one on the lot, or order one and wait 4 months for the privilege of paying full sticker.  I waited, but it was tough.  Did I overpay for the car?  Yes -- but I got enough fun and "wow" factor out of it to make up the difference.  ;D

If you will have the R-9 for the rest of your life (or even the next 10 years), the wait of another few weeks or even months will be insignificant.  If you give up now, I tend to think you will regret it -- and then you will pay the higher price.

A Kahr is a fine gun, but it is NOT an R-9 by any means...  ::)

Sell your "trade" on-line.  I have bought and sold a lot of guns this way, with no problem.  Selling, particularly, is nearly risk free since you get the money up-front.  Give it a try -- selling is much easier than buying.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Fireboy

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 09:56:35 AM »
I can identify with your frustration!  I ordered an R-9s in August of 2004.  I was told at the time that the "official" wait time was five months, but I should have it in 3 to 4.  As we roll into the eighth month, my frustration is mounting! I know, I know...factory move, SHOT show, etc...still; it doesn't make the wait any easier.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »
Fireboy, You should be getting your R9 in the next few weeks. I'll bet!   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 12:44:52 PM »
Fireboy - welcome. :)

Like Tom, I'd reckon you will not have too much longer to wait.  Long haul I will admit but - this must be pretty much a home run now.  Hang in there.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 01:11:33 PM »
Fireboy and Rooster, Let me help you feel better. I have had a R9S laying in my FFL's safe for about 3 1/2 mos. now and after a long process of getting Maryland to approve it for sale,in mid Feb., then waiting another 30days for possible objections finally today I get to send off my paper work for another 7 business day,weekend days don't count, which is really 2wks wait to pick up my Rohrbaugh. Meantime I am waiting to hear from the MSP if my carry permit will be approved which is subject to the whim of the Sec. of the MSP. If you are in a "shall issue" state be happy and wait for the best carry gun there is, R9S,. Be thankfull that you will not be subjected to these hurdles I have had to jump!
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 04:04:48 PM »
All of us with R9s have gone thru the wait and are happy we did that. Tom
You guys are making me guilty that I did NOT go through any kind of wait to get my R9S :D.  Literally, the day I decided that I was going to own one, I found a dealer with one and it shipped to my FFL that day; I picked it up the following day ;D!  I'm sure glad though, cause I'm not the kind who'd wait months like you guys are.  If you can endure the wait, I'm sure you'll be pleased when you do get your R9.