Author Topic: New PUP on its way to FL  (Read 1739 times)

Offline 19950ragtop

New PUP on its way to FL
« on: September 01, 2006, 05:54:22 PM »
After reading the various interesting and informative posts on this forum, I finally took the plunge and ordered my R9s today.

Since I expect arrival on Tuesday, just wanted to be prepared.

What recommendations or pearls of wisdom would you provide to a new owner?  Looks like cleaning and disassembly is a challenge.

I have super lube on order,  am looking for a RC 3rd gen stop stick removal tool, and will need a couple of front pocket holsters to keep the PUP warm during the chilly Fl evenings.

You guys are the experts on R9, what new owner advice would you provide?

thanks in advance DEM

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: New PUP on its way to FL
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 08:58:27 PM »
Welcome RT

Go to R9sCarry's (Chris) FAQ site on the R9.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 09:50:42 PM »
DEM - welcome :)  Hope Tuesday will see you in possession of the lil fella!

As Dave mentioned - take a peek at my FAQ site (link in my sig line) - and browse here too as much as you can.  This will probably cover most aspects.

I will admit - tho in deference to the R Bros I have not put this on the FAQ - I am personally not using grease on my slide rails any more - I think it can collect crud a bit and actually slow the slide potentially and so - use Militech1 now on slide rails - even clean/lube cycling more often to ensure no lube deprivation.  Works for me.

I still apply grease to all the other places recommended per the descriptions you can find within the FAQ site - one of which BTW is Eric stripping and reassembling the pup - which includes grease application.

I use miniscule amounts of Mobil1 on other small moving parts like trigger linkage - just occasionally.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline 19950ragtop

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 12:59:29 PM »
Chris and Dave,

Thanks for the information

Chris your FAQ page is great the assembly and disassembly procedures, and videos, are better than any others that I have reviewed.  Your passion for the R9 is evidenced by the quality and scope of your work.

I still have a few more things to read, factory manual, and need to to pick up a few supplies this weekend in anticipation of the Tuesday delivery.

Looking forward to the first range visit.  

Question on ammo for the break-in period.  Conventional practice on other semi autos is to use FMJ ball nose rather than HP ammo.  I was planning on using FMJ ball type ammo such as: Sellier & Bellot, Winchester "white box from WM" or Winchester silver tips.

What do you think?

Dave

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 02:36:28 PM »
Dave - at very least for economy - do try FMJ - and I find WWB works OK, as well as Fed American Eagle.

I have heard of a few glitches with FMJ by some people but broadly reckon they should do fine. Then of course ''prove'' the pup with some JHP's to see what runs best.  

I would expect while it is tight and recoil assembly is at its tightest - to get odd glitches but initially just get some rounds thru - then clean and lube and resume.

I would hope that after session #1 of about 40 to 50 rounds, then clean and lube - things should be settling in.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.