Author Topic: New member asking for info/advice  (Read 1773 times)

Offline 75scout

New member asking for info/advice
« on: October 04, 2006, 08:37:06 PM »
Just registered today.  I've read nearly all of Chris's FAQ page.  I've been reading about and lusting after the Rohrbaughs for the past 6 months or so.  I am currently saving for my 1st Rohrbaugh and will be gathering as much info in that time as I can.  Several months back I purchased a used Kahr PM40.  I loved the size and the power it had.  But I had some reliability issues and sent it back to ther factory.  It took 2 months longer than the estimated 2 week turn around time.  It was better when I got it back but still not 100%.  I'm accustomed to the small guns with stout recoil.  But I can't diagnose problems and fix them myself very well.  Thats what I'm leary about.  I hate spending my money on something thats not 100% from the factory.  Probably because I have very little money and I have to save up 6 months to a year to buy a new gun.

So tell me a little bit about what I can expect from the "Pup".  Whats the normal waiting time when purchase NIB from a dealer?  Is the price of the Stealth more than the regular R9?  Which looks better (cosmetics are important too)?  Whats the warranty like and does the company stand behind their product?  Whats the fascination with the Farmingdale models?  Only because it was the original factory?  And are these models any better in quality?  How finicky are they?  And is it often or rare that the gun will need special attention for it to run 100%?  If I can buy one in person what should I look for?

JimmyD

Re: New member asking for info/advice
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 04:49:11 PM »
I've been reading about and lusting after the Rohrbaughs for the past 6 months or so.

Are you referring to the brothers or the guns?  ;D

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 09:58:34 PM »
Hey Ryan - welcome :) (P95 here)

Lot of questions ;)

Well first off - the Bros R sure do stand behind their product - very much.  Is the gun finicky?  Well yes and no!

It is necessary to break in and ensure it is fed what it likes best for carry ammo - and that does seem to sometimes vary a bit.  I have stuck with 124 GD's now and am unlikely to change.

I forget re Stealth vs std pricing - maybe something on their web sight or perhaps Tom (Irish Guard) here can answer that.  He incidentally is one to ask re availablity as he may have something when hard to find elsewhere.

I can see no functional difference re Stealth and std - purely cosmetic.  I do like the look of the all dark but am still happy as all get out with my shiny ''old'' ones!

Bit complicated to give a full check list if you do a face to face purchase but - that could be helped by a phone chat perhaps in the event you have that option.

The Farmingdale models do not really have a ''fascination'' as such - more a nostalgia s that is where things started. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline 75scout

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 02:53:28 PM »
Jimmy I only lust after Woman (wife), guns, and muscle cars.  And in that order.

Thanks Chris.  I figured every semi-auto of that size would have some reliability issues.  The dimisions are just so small.  IS the warranty for owners who purchased used?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 08:34:56 PM »
Re warranty - hmmm, ya know I am not dead sure.

That said I do expect Bros R to always stand by their product and even if a gun was 2nd owner, I would expect that unless it had been obviously abused then they would see things right.

I do know Eric has seen a few horror stories over time, and even then probably done all he could to help.  These days I suspect with their heavy schedules, a returned gun that had been ''butchered'' would probably not now be well received!

Most pups tho are treated well - as one would expect.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline 75scout

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 11:14:38 PM »
Oh I plan to really baby this gun.  I treated the Glock 26 I owned for a while like a princess and dare I say it was in better condition than when I had purchased it.  Actually it was the exact same but I had added Trijicon night sights which are a vast improvement over the factory sights.

I've got a few more questions.  Do law enforcement officers get disounts?  Either factory or dealer?  And how is the recoil?  Say compared to a Kel-Tec 380, Kahr PM40, Sig 232, S&W 340 PD w/ light 38s.  I've shot them all and found the KT to be similar to the Kahr.  Strange but I've found alot of 380s have stout recoil for the somewhat anemic round.  I can take the punishment for 50 to 100 rounds at a time and I would guess it would be similar to the polymer Kahrs in either 9 or 40.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 06:18:39 PM »
LEO's?  No - AFAIK there is ni discount structure as yet.  In fact I do know that despite the seemingly very high price of the guns, the Bros R really are not making a whole lot.

For one thing their capital investment on machinery etc is astronomic and this increased when they moved to Deer Park.  I can't see discounting in the short to medium term anyways.

Recoil?  ''Snappy'' ;)  I would say to most folks who have shot a P3AT - it is similar.  A consequence of small size and weight, and the 9mm round.  Perfectly manageable and technique, once learned helps.  I doubt tho for anyone, even if it was meant to be shot a lot, would go plinking a 100 rounds thru, without some gradual build up of discomfort!

That said - if we had to empty the gun (6+1) 'in extremis' I doubt we'd even notice recoil much - and the buttery smooth trigger makes things easier too.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 12:28:56 PM »
Do law enforcement officers get disounts?  Either factory or dealer?

No, I didn't. That being said, I feel my money was WELL SPENT! I'm a former Class III Dealer and it would amaze me when an Officer would buy junk because he didn't want to spend enough to purchase a quality weapon to protect his life.

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com