Author Topic: New R9 and Range Report  (Read 1687 times)

Offline arjuna70

• Sharpshooter
New R9 and Range Report
« on: May 30, 2007, 12:22:57 PM »
I received my R9 about 2 weeks ago and took it right to the range from the shop.  After loading it with Remington UMC I started out shooting the first mag.  I was a little surprised by the bite of the gun and since mine is a sightless model it took some getting used to shooting.  Soon after that I started having misfires, FTF, and one stovepipe.

I joined the forum and got lots of useful info.  I then ordered new magazine springs, recoil springs, and grip screws from Rohrbaugh.  I even got the Bedair Takedown tools to assist me.

I stripped down the gun really easily with Steve's tool and I highly recommend his work and his guide rods.  I took off the grips and cleaned off that "white powder".  I put in the new recoil spring and oiled up the gun and put on the grips with new screws.  

I took it back to the range and shot Gold Dot 124gr HP and the weapon was flawless.  I have to get used to the grip and now I just strangle the gun while shooting.  My groups were pretty good but 4-5 mags per range session is the most I can do.

I have purchased a smart carry and just picked up a RJ Hedley Holster from the classified section which should be on the way soon.

I wanted to thank everyone for the help.  Here's a pic:

I was wondering what people thought about the Apache Ankle Rig and how it is to carry that way.  I have never carried with an ankle rig but this may be the gun to try.

Also has anyone put one of the Hogue Handall Jr slip on grips on this gun?  Does it fit and or add to the grip.

Thanks again for all the help.
A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: New R9 and Range Report
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 02:52:06 PM »
Arjuna70:

It would appear that you and your R9 are off to a great start.  Thanks for the report.

I can't offer any meaningful advice on ankle carry.  It works extremely well for some people.  I own an ankle rig for one of my .32s, but I've never gotten used to wearing it.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 05:40:52 PM »
What size Apache Ankle rig did you get?

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 07:04:31 PM »
Welcome and congrats on your R9! Hows that smart carry workin out for you? I've looked at them several times but never pulled the trigger. :-/
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline arjuna70

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 08:56:48 PM »
Welcome and congrats on your R9! Hows that smart carry workin out for you? I've looked at them several times but never pulled the trigger. :-/

I love the Smart Carry.  You can look at the video on the website and read the reviews.  It sits in the groin area and it is very hard to see and it is comfortable to wear.

You need to find a good position for when you sit, but otherwise I highly recommend the smart carry.

http://www.smartcarry.com/
A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 12:43:47 AM »
Rohrbaugh apache ankle rig style 062 by Destantis

Thank you!