Author Topic: Rohrbaugh "Special Forces"?  (Read 19521 times)

Offline Kayaker

Rohrbaugh "Special Forces"?
« on: December 28, 2009, 02:52:18 PM »
As I understand it the Special Forces model had the Wilson Armor-Tuff finish, but the model was discontinued after a relatively short run.  Were these discontinued because the finish was found to be suboptimal on the Rohrbaugh?  Something to do with tight tolerances?  Or was this a business decision?  Thanks!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Rohrbaugh "Special Forces"?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »
I'm thinking it was a business decision.  Just my thoughts.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 04:18:02 PM »
That is an excellent question to have answered before buying a Special Forces model. Perhaps the factory could respond to your query.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:34:01 PM by tracker »

Drifter8002

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:55:05 PM »
Let me start out by saying hello.

I lurk in many forums (Guns, Harley Davidson and Corvette's primarily) and don't usually get involved with posting unless I have something to contribute. As this is my first post and I am the individual with the "Special Forces" R9 for sale on Gun Broker I will keep to facts and certainly not try to sway individuals with my bias.

In keeping with the question asked I will only respond to the Wilson Combat "Armor Tuff" question.  I have owned no less than 12 Wilson Combats with 8 of them being coated with Armor Tuff.  Armor Tuff is put on less than one thousandth of an inch thick and will not affect the operation of the R9 or any gun for that matter as it only tends to make it function smoother.  I have other Rohrbaughs and the "Special Forces" is smoother feeling when cycling the slide.  

I would suggest going to the Wilson Combat site and checking the write up on the coating as there's many good reasons listed as to why it is desirable albeit it's their product so you would expect that.

As to the other questions I'll have to defer to the experts on why Rohrbaugh only made a limited run of these, I can only speculate that cost is usually the factor.  

As I know the question of why am I selling will come up, I'll answer it now.  I buy and sell guns quite often with many being what would be called "safe queens".  I buy and trade/sell many without ever have taken them to the range, however I shoot at least once a week usually.  I'm not a typical collector as I change direction with what I'm buying quite frequently moving on to something else. The "Special Forces" is a fine limited run firearm that I considered a good investment.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:31:17 PM by Drifter8002 »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 06:15:21 PM »

Welcome, Drifter, and thanks for the info.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:20:55 PM »
That is an excellent question to have answered before buying a Special Forces model. Perhaps the factory could respond to your query.

That would be good.  Then we would all know.  I'm thinking too, that it was related to cost as Drifter8002 speculated, thus my thoughts of, business decision.

Drifter8002.  Welcome to the Forum and thanks for sharing.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »

I'm guessing that the Special Forces model may have been more labor intensive than the Robar, for example, which would certainly play into the cost equation. Maybe someone could briefly compare the two models. The cost of the Robar finish vs. the Armor-Tuf would appear to be a wash but there may be more to it than that.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 06:52:51 PM »
I'm guessing that the Special Forces model may have been more labor intensive than the Robar, for example, which would certainly play into the cost equation.

That's what I'm thinking.  With only two dozen made, that would be a good guess.

Drifter8002

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 07:37:43 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

The following was copied from this site from what I believe was the shot show posting. This may shed some light on the differences.

"Special Forces R-9– Hogue Executive G-10 grips with checkering, titanium coated barrel, and all visible parts (interior and exterior of gun) are finished in black with Wilson Combat’s proprietary ArmorTuff finish.  Even the magazines are black!  Very neat looking gun.  Even when you open the slide and peer down the ejection port – everything is black!  MSRP $1,795."

This could lead you to believe that some of the cost was due to the barrel receiving a special titanium coating and due to the extensive amount of surface coating areas, which includes the magazines and barrel as compared to the Robar.

I would like to add that I had previously owned a Robar Alloy Extreme (Basiscally a G-17 in all metal) that had the Robar finish on the slide and it was a pretty good surface treatment.

Dave

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 01:39:08 PM »
Well, the Rohrbaugh Special Forces has sold for $1500.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151712247
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:40:15 PM by kjtrains »

Offline Kayaker

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »
Sure did.  :-)))))

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 03:20:39 PM »
Congratulations!! I think you got a good deal.   :)   :)

Offline dougk

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 08:55:17 AM »
Thats a nice looking gun...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »
Congratulations, Kayaker!  That is a rarity you now have. 8)

And Drifter, welcome to the Forum.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:58:16 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 09:59:33 AM »
Given the points already referenced above, $1500 was a steal for the Special Forces model.

As a collector I have been on both sides of the aisle; as buyer and seller, albeit the fact that my ex-wife and I were only "weekenders" - antique dealers who did shows on weekends and not for a living. (Note: My ex-wife hated guns. I sold the guns I had during this stupid period of my life).

When you can get a (very) limited run, "not made anymore" gun for substantially less than its MSRP, you have a good deal. This is probably a reflection of the economy and I would put this Special Forces model in a safe for future consideration.

Well Done

Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson