Author Topic: Also 1st Range Trip - Major Malfunction!  (Read 6954 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Also 1st Range Trip - Major Malfunction!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 05:45:56 PM »
Well, I got through to Maria, and she is definitely knowledgeable about Rohrbaugh. She looked up my serial number, verified that it was, in fact, an Elite and created in 2008.
She told me how to send the gun back to Rohrbaugh for fixing, and I will FedEx it Monday. (She said not to overnight it on a Friday.).
I will keep you all posted along the way, and again - I want to thank each and every one of you. Your support and kind words of encouragement meant a lot to a newbie, who just dropped a bundle (and was very upset and dissappointed). The fact that many of you have had kind of similar experiences, only to go on to owning several Rohrbaughs - gives me optimism, and hope.
(and by the that's Anesthesia Pain Management to the person who asked).

Great, Paindoctor.  Glad everything is coming together and to find a new Elite from 2008, excellent.  You will be proud when it returns, for sure!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Paindoctor

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »
They really are works of functional art. This particular
Stealth Elite model I love, because it reminds me of another gun I own - a Sig P226R Equinox...it has that same mix of steel and black on the slide that gives it a great look.

I will let you all know when they get back to me at Team Rohrbaugh.
Paindoctor
"...and when you run (a legit pain clinic) nowadays...your Rohrbaugh is never far away..." - Thanks to Karl, Maria, and Jim of Hiddenholsters.net - 'The Very Best' in custom concealment

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 07:19:31 PM »
I'm not surprised there are NIB 2008 pups at dealers, if they don't advertise they have one and no one comes in looking, I can see a gun with the price of an Elite sitting on the shelf a while.
  Rohrbaugh will make it right, and make you happy.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Paindoctor

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »
I too, just had the good fortune of purchasing a brand new R9S Stealth Elite from a very reputable dealer in South Florida. Took the pup to my local range, and by golly - the first round wouldn't detonate! Then the third, then the fifth, and so on...It got so scary, because I waited an appropriate length of time, before unchambering the non-fired round, and sometimes there would be smoke inside there, along with what looked like a half detonated live round.

I had the owner of the gun shop - very experienced with Rohrbaugh, etc. shoot some different ammo - self defense rounds and the same things were happening to them. I ultimately packed it in for the day, as I thought by continuing, I would be risking a major injury either to myself, or the gun.

Before I ask for advice - the gun was cleaned, lubricated, different kinds of "correct" ammo was used ( so it's not the ammo), different magazines were used (so it's not the magazines)...it just seemed like the the firing pin was very light on some of these rounds. What do you all think and suggest I do? Also possible is that the rounds weren't being chambered and seating properly?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. I am going back to the place I purchased tomorrow for his response as well.

Well, I now have a follow up report that I think you will all find interesting, and informative:

Got back the R9S Stealth Elite, and went directly to the range. They only had PMC 115 gr range ammo, and I was told this would be "OK". Had FTF approximately 50% of all rounds. This was right after receiving gun back from factory, and being told it was "like new".

Went back to office (thankfully the gun was unloaded, although at that point, I'm not sure it would have fired, or not :) - called the factory, and nobody was home because of the Labor Day Weekend.

Being the resourceful person I am, I got Karl on the phone, himself. We spoke at length - probably 45 minutes or so - and when I was finished, I knew what the problem was: Diagnosis: Wrong Ammo
Treatment: Federal 115 gr FMJ or Winchester White Box 115 FMJ and Gold Dots or Silver Tips for defense ammo.

I have not had ONE even ONE FTF since, and I've put through about 250 rounds, or so. The only slight problem I have now, is that the left grip seems slightly loose after shooting...anyone else have that issue?

I must say: All of you were so right when you reassured me that Team Rohrbaugh would make it right! From Maria to Karl, himself - a class organization that is dedicated to producing and serving their customers for the duration...and I am grateful to have this forum to learn from and share ideas.

Thanks again to all.
Paindoctor
"...and when you run (a legit pain clinic) nowadays...your Rohrbaugh is never far away..." - Thanks to Karl, Maria, and Jim of Hiddenholsters.net - 'The Very Best' in custom concealment

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 07:55:37 PM »
Sounds good!  Enjoy that sucker now...

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 08:07:35 PM »
Yep!  Paindoctor.  Feed the Elite the good stuff and you'll be fine for sure.  Do have fun, now.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 12:18:49 AM »
Glad you got it sorted out. I've had my grip screws loosen up on my from time to time... it's important to keep them tight (especially the right one, which is integral to the gun's mechanism). I think folks recommend a drop of Blue Loctite to keep the screws in place--it's what I use, and it seems to work well.

I know I'm a little late to this party, but I'm still curious about something from your first post in the thread. What does a half-detonated round look like? Just a dent on the primer, or actual damage beyond that?

Offline Paindoctor

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 06:23:58 AM »
A dent in the primer and sometimes smoke coming from the chamber...it's pretty scary. A question about the grip screws and loctite:
I was told that the factory used it when they changed out my grips; Why would it keep getting loose just one or two uses after getting it back? Is that about the "normal" interval between having to use a product like loctite?
Paindoctor

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 06:38:25 AM »
Paindoctor.  That's not really normal for the right grip screw to be getting loose that quick.  I haven't had that problem, so can't answer the question, as to cause.  I would give Maria a call Monday and ask her for some advice.  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 10:30:09 AM »
I understand a light primer strike or an unfired round due to a bad primer but the smoke in the chamber is a little puzzling if the projectile was still seated. ???  Unless the smoke was from the round fired before the unfired one.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 05:27:07 PM »
PDr,
First welcome to the forum.
Second,I am sorry you are having problems with your special made Pup..

No,it is not normal for your grips to become loose like that with any kind of Loctite use.

It is always good to check after a shooting session to make sure screws are just right,cannot be too tight or they will strip on you..

If you are getting smoke and no detonation of the round,a light primer strike would not do that?

As it has been said,the R-Bros WILL take care of your problem,I just hope it will be an easy fix for you (to me it still sounds like you are having a hammer strike problem)

Once again,welcome..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe