Author Topic: how to carry  (Read 3698 times)

Offline howards

how to carry
« on: October 15, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »
just interested in a small survey, do you carry a full clip with one in the chamber with the r9?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: how to carry
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »
Yep, I do.    :)  Full mag; one in the pipe.    :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:54:24 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 01:36:39 PM »
yes, always, it's the best way.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
Never have an empty chamber, no way you can draw and rack the slide in time to do yourself any good.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Verdugoman

• The Constitution, Words to live by!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »
 I carry one in the pipe and only five in the mag, with a extra mag with five in my back pocket. I had read somewhere that it was not good to keep your mag fully compressed all the time. Dave :D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 04:17:22 PM »
For me it's one in the chamber, five in the magazine, and a spare magazine (cased) containing five rounds -- i.e., I choose to download my 24/7 mags by one round. (Did I mention that I'm "old-school" and set in my ways?)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 08:32:26 PM »
Always loaded and topped off.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 09:52:47 PM »
Issue of 6 vs. 5 in mag recently discussed.  Everyone has own opinion.  I carry 6 +1 in pipe but have practiced with that and never with Gold Dots had a 2nd round misfeed.  The old M-16's had this problem with cheap mags and were loaded one shy.  Practice with your own weapon and mags and see what works.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 04:38:10 AM »
Issue of 6 vs. 5 in mag recently discussed.  Everyone has own opinion.  I carry 6 +1 in pipe but have practiced with that and never with Gold Dots had a 2nd round misfeed.  The old M-16's had this problem with cheap mags and were loaded one shy.  Practice with your own weapon and mags and see what works.
John

+1  :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 08:31:24 PM »
Howard,

Always one in the chamber and a full magazine. If you need it, it will be under stress. I bet pulling a trigger will be the only thing on your mind, not racking in a round.
 As for the magazine, these are not old Colt M16's that needed two less rounds to function and were meant to be disposable.
 Load it fully, carry it often, and I hope you never need it! Practice with it from the holster you will carry it in.

Robar233

Offline TpaBayFlyFisher

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »
Mine is 6+1 with second mag in a new and beautiful Meco holder in my off-hand front pocket.  I plan to try some Guard Dog 9mm EFMJ which reportedly shoots with less recoil.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA7f69skz9g

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 05:07:06 PM »

I bought some of the Guard Dog but doubt if I will carry it in the R9 because of the underpenetration aspects compared to a bonded round. Glass penetration capability, for example, might be a consideration in concealed carry and I am not too concerned about overpenetration with the R9 anyway.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »
The EFMJ has a neato factor to it, but as tnoutdoors9 shows - it's not penetrating like the 124-147gr offerings.

With the Rohrbaugh you have a pistol the size of most 380 autos that reliably fires the more effective 9mm round.

To my mind  the Federal Gaurd ammo Dog basically turns your mirco-nine into a 380 auto.

Offline TpaBayFlyFisher

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  My idea was that the lighter recoil of the Dog would allow a better shot placement in a defensive use situation.  Nearly everyone admits that a pup is a handful when shooting multiple shots.  The reports are that this projectile expands very well as was shown in the vid I posted above.  But the reduced recoil could allow multiple shots in reduced time.  It would be nice to see who has used them.........