Author Topic: First Anniversary ?  (Read 5252 times)

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
  • " A armed society is a polite society"
First Anniversary ?
« on: May 04, 2005, 04:56:33 PM »
Gentlemen,

Am I to assume that today 5/4/2005, is the first anniversary of the " Rohrbaugh R9 '' pistol ?

Fred
mismatch

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: First Anniversary ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 09:53:45 PM »
Eric called me in response to seeing your post...

Yes, today 5/4/05 is the one year anniversary of Rohrbaugh starting to ship R-9s to customers.  Of course, the R-9 had been a work in progress for nearly 10 years prior.

The one year anniversary of this forum is May 19, 2005, which is quickly approaching.

Here is the first thread ever:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1085007041
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline TW

• Grand Master
First Anniversary...?...!...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 02:03:11 AM »
>>Greetings One and Y'all...

I too got a Call from Eric this afternoon, although I missed the call...  In his message he seemed to be smiling ear to ear, and that's a good thing...!  He said he had a GREAT vacation, and was now back to work making guns - said he made up 100 triggers today, and that Karl was finishing up a batch of 100 guns tonight (they are working in shifts in effort to make more guns!!!).  Just think...there is probably some lucky fellow or two here on the forum who will be getting these guns...and what fun that always is...!!  And as usual, there is at least one person around here who is just getting acquainted with his R9.  Then we have a long time forum member who has been off site with health issues, and is now back again...!  What a GREAT way to honor the official one year anniversary of the R9 coming out, so to speak...!  And in another couple weeks we can celebrate the one year anniversary of the Rohrbaugh Forum...!

Reading over that first thread which Duane started up on 19 May '04 brought a lot of things to mind...like the suggestions made then of this place becoming a home club for R-9 owners to get together and share their lives and experiences.  Back then only ONE person even had an R9, and it wasn't Duane - lol.  But now R9s are trickling out everywhere, and the clubhouse...  Well...that done happened!!  Then there is the thought this place would become a resource data base for information on all things which would become the R9.  That's happened too, as there is no place else with more useful info written down and accessible on this gun in existence - and that includes the Rohrbaugh Firearms factory itself, I dare say.  Why, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Karl and Eric come here to re-find facts on the R9 which they have long ago forgotten...!!

A couple other thoughts came to mind as well...  How about we have some sort of celebration around here for the one year anniversary of the initiation of this forum on 19 May...?  Anyone have any thoughts on this...?  I had one, and it was also mentioned on that first thread from a year ago...  How about having some sort of fund raiser project for Rohrbaugh Forums...?  Again, I know little to nothing about this sort of thing on a web site...but I'm sure there are folks around here that do...!...yes...?...no...??   An auction...?  Duane - how do you feel about all of this...?  Perhaps we could get some folks to donate some R9 stuff, as in holsters, ammo, parts kits, take down tools (for me?, me??, me!!!!)...maybe even a gun...?  Might even get Rohrbaugh to throw in a hat of something, ya know...?  Let me be the first to offer up an R9 stuff-thingie for auction...if Duane is open to the idea, of course.  I will donate a like new, black leather Maverick holster made by Ron Graham for an R9 - a belt carry holster (I use my RJ pocket holster for main carry these days)...value is something like $65...although I'll have to check on details.

So what do Y'all (especially Duane) think...?  Anniversary party at Eric's house...?...just kidding about that last part, but a celebration all the same.  And how about that auction...?...!!  I looooove winning things, as I do so very infrequently - lol...!  If nothing else, this might be a good time to think about making financial contributions to Duane to help keep this place rolling...?  I will, just as soon as Duane sends me his address, again **wideassgrins**...TW<<  
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 02:14:15 AM by TW »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 10:23:23 AM »
TW (and others):

I am excited about the one-year anniversary for the forum approaching.  Seems like a success...  ;D  More reflection on our anniversary a bit later.

I would love to do something to commemorate the anniversary -- I am just not sure what.  It would be nice to spark some new enthusiasm around here, especially with the anticipated influx of new members as production starts to crank.

As for the finances of the board...  PCA made a significant donation at the begining of the year and I went ahead and pre-paid all our hard costs through the end of 2005 -- such as domain name registration, the associated e-mail costs, etc.  

The web hosting is a different issue.  When I started the board, a life long friend of mine (Tech Guy) offered to host the board on his server space.  I agreed to pay him what I could toward the reasonable value and see how it goes.  He also did all the set-up and continues to do the "technical" aspects of the maintenance.  For his services and the server space, I have tried to pay him whatever I get in donations over and above the hard costs of the forum.

So... we are not in dire need of any funds.  To the extent I could give him a bit of an "honorarium" for his work here and the use of the server space--that is what the money would be used for at this point.  At some point in the future, there will be 2006 expenses to pay.... but that is a ways off.

We could do an auction -- we have done one before.

However, I would also be interested in other ways to commemorate the date.  Is there any interest in a forum cap or T-shirt or something?  Honestly, I wouldn't want to front the money or time to buy them, stock them and sell them, but I understand now that there are web-based vendors who will (after a small set-up fee), save your artwork and allow people to order and pay for "one-offs" as they need them.

Finally, one other thought.  In addition to auctions, I have seen on other forums -- particularly the Ruger Forum -- where people donate an item and raffle it off for free, just for the good Karma.  They are small items, but usually something useful and related to the purpose of the forum.  Just another idea.

What do you all think?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 05:55:54 PM »
Duane, thanks a lot for starting this forum. Its been like a second home to all of us. It would be fun to do something for the anniversity. That way we all can have some new fun!  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline TW

• Grand Master
First Anniversary ?
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 09:43:40 PM »
>>So...  We don't need money for the web site, and probably don't want to have an auction.  OK...  I like the idea of raffles...only thing is I wonder if a specialty item like my Ron Graham holster would actually go into the hands of someone who would want and use it...?  With an auction you'd think most of the people bidding would actually want the item...yes...?...no...??  But then there is that Karma thing so maybe it won't matter if someone REALLY wants a particular item.  And, YES...we need good Karma...lots and lots of good Karma...so how are we gonna do it...?  Thoughts...?...TW<<  

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 10:12:24 PM »
First off, Duane, congratulations on the success of this forum!  It is not only a source of valuable information, but it is well moderated, and seems to attract a membership that is both knowledgable and mature.  This is really a first class site and you should be proud of it.

I really like the idea of Rohrbaugh Forum merchandise, but I'm not sure about hats and t-shirts and such.  Something that would either enhance my R9, or be useful at the range is, at least to me, something I would be willing to purchase.  It would also be more meaningful if it was not available to everyone (i.e. you must be a forum member and have been active for "x" months or have had "x" posts or some other criteria that indicates a contribution to the site).

Some ideas that come to mind are:
1. Pocket holsters with the forum logo and my login ID
2. Custom grips (yeah, I know, this is going to be tough), that also have the forum logo and my login ID.
3. Maybe a pistol mat or range bag or something else along those lines.

I'm sure there are other ideas out there. . . .

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 01:11:46 AM »
Be nice to have some celebratory items but - as I think I said a while ago - the one thing that would be tricky is for Duane to have to front this .. it is hard to see a way to do it with all parties coming out smiling!

I am trying to think what I may have in all my gear that is less used and so - perhaps - something to send along as a raffle item or auction item.  I will give it some more thought.

I know Duane thought we might have grown quicker but - know what - I think we have done just fine.  Lot of input from many folks and - too rapid a growth I think can be counter productive sometimes.

I would tho expect that the next 12 months will indeed see us growing - more guns out there - just gotta be way more folks wanting to join up and chat.

Thx Duane from me - the ever present rambling waffler - you started something great and IMO the first year has been a blistering success. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 10:24:07 PM »
Darn it - 2 days late!

Duane - I think we should all wish ourselves ''Happy Anniversary'' for May 19 - it quite slipped by me.

May we enjoy another good year and gain some more members too as the R9 output increases. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.