Author Topic: Brand new R9s FTF and FTE with Federal ammo  (Read 19171 times)

Offline jeeptree2112

Re: Brand new R9s FTF and FTE with Federal ammo
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 12:53:28 PM »
well, took the R9 back to the Rohrbaugh dealer I bought it from today because the  guy I bought it from wanted to take a look at it and give it a good cleaning.  After which I was given a new black mag and new spring, NOT INSTALLED, and a box of American eagle bullets.  He then took it out back and fired it and had 1 FTF out of 10 shots.  He advised me to take it home and run the whole box.  So I did.  5 FTE with the new magazine.  VERY DISCOURAGED at this point. I have taken everyone's advice and still FTE and FTF's.  AND it happens with the Gold dot speer's too.  Been in contact with the company and Maria has been very helpful in trying to evaluate the issue.  She then had Karl Rohrbaugh call me after a few calls to her and we have not talked yet, just messages.    Just thought I'd share.  Thanks

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »
A further note:  after about 20 rounds, I get a skin tear on my forefinger (trigger finger).  I've taken to wearing a good thin leather shooting glove on my right hand....problem solved for range work. 
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Wildcat1

• Firearms Pharmacist
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 07:58:27 AM »
Lots of good ammo advice.  To be honest, I must be lucky, but "out of the box" I have never had even one FTF or FTE.  My R9 has been 100% from day one.
Daily R9 Carrier
Endowment Life
Instructor
Military

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »
Any updates on this?

Offline jeeptree2112

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 09:36:26 PM »
just waiting on a reply from Karl.  I'll write in with an update.  Thanks

Offline nyr888

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
I got rid of my new R9. Had same problems as you plus I was surprised at its short effective range. I don't like the gun at any price let alone a retail of over $1200.

I also think their customer service strategy of having the founder callback complaining customers is a joke, though overall, might be effective for them - I don't know. Smells like a BS move that shouldn't be necessary with a quality product. Truly curious how many hours a week Karl spends making these calls. It would be genious of them to hire some raspy older gentleman to impersonate Karl.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 11:27:48 PM »

Short effective range? Why would you expect anything else? You did the right thing by selling it.

Offline nyr888

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »
I suppose it was my ignorance with the r9. I think it's more accurate to say I didn't realize just how effective my pm9 is.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 02:27:38 AM »
Short effective range???

Just this last weekend I was goofing around and shooting at steel plates at over 120 yards, yes as in over 360 feet.  And I was hitting
just below the plate 50% of the time.

The ammo was 147gr Golden Sabre and 147 gr Hydra Shoks out of a Stealth.

I was quite satisfied.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 08:14:28 AM »
Excellent shooting Reinz!

With anything practice makes perfect! :)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 10:34:46 PM »
I'm gratefull that this forum is here.

It seems to me that I'm hearing me and more new owners having problems with FTE, & failure to feed.

Offline jeeptree2112

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 07:00:08 AM »
First of all REALLY NICE SHOOTING!!!!!!  That's some top shot stuff there. 
Secondly, I'm so glad I'm not alone and crazy with all my little issues with my R9. 

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 09:21:01 AM »
Short effective range???

Just this last weekend I was goofing around and shooting at steel plates at over 120 yards, yes as in over 360 feet.  And I was hitting

I was quite satisfied.

Dam*ed good shooting, Reinz! I've never tried my R9 at that distance, but out of curiosity I once backed off to around 50 yards from a new silhouette target, factored in a wild-a** guess as to elevation and windage needed from a 2.9" barrel, and lobbed off six rounds.  On walking up to the target, I was surprised to find five holes scattered in random pattern within the silhouette with a sixth outside but still in the paper. That "entertainment" was also done using 147gr Remington GS. (As I've posted before, I've now dropped the R9's carry load down to 124gr GS for ammo compatibility with my HK P7, the gas-retarded recoil system of which wasn't designed for the heavier round.) 

I've done the same sort of long-range "lobbing" with my Colt Mustang, a suprisingly accurate little single-action pistol. The DAO R9 may not be quite as accurate at distance as the Mustang, but it would have to be a close second. Of course, both of these pistols are intended as up-close personal defense weapons, not target pieces.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:21:01 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »
Short effective range???

I was quite satisfied.

Great shooting, Reinz.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 01:29:53 AM »
I'm sorry I was not trying to impress or be bragadoicious.  I was only stepping in with a point towards my confusion about "short effective range".

BTW, I believe Richard's shooting was superior, they were Hits!  Good Shooting Rich!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE