Author Topic: Interesting Update from Remington on Warranty Service Plans  (Read 15785 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Interesting Update from Remington on Warranty Service Plans
« on: September 24, 2014, 09:41:08 AM »

All,

Cargaritaville informed me that he was able to speak with with Dan Cox at Remington yesterday. Dan confirmed that that Remington wii honor the existing Rohrbaugh warranties. He also said that because of the nature of the Rohrbaugh guns, Remington felt that a high end gunsmith shop was needed. Remington is close to a deal with a shop that is centrally located in the U.S. The agreement is awaiting final approval from the legal dept at Remington, but this is expected to happen soon...and repairs will begin thereafter.

Obviously this is interesting on a number of levels.  First, this is the most concrete thing we have heard about warranty repairs and this seems like a plausible way of handling them.   Beretta has a similar process, where they have farmed out warranty repair work to a third party gunsmith.  Remingston also seems to be acknowleding that Rohrbaugh pistols are "high end" and the customers will expect a high degree of quality in any work performed.

It is also interesting that they have chosen not to do this repair work in-house.  As best I can tell, this is a change in direction from previous plans we had heard.  This might be an indication that any type of Rohrbaugh pistol we see from Remington will be quite different than what we have now... Perhaps in design, quality and price point.

Of course this could be more empty promises, but this seems to be a step in the right direction for those who need warranty repair.  What it means for the future of the R-9, however, is less clear.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Interesting Update from Remington on Warranty Service Plans
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 10:03:25 AM »
Good news.

I hope it is Cylinder and Slide, Fremont , NE.  I had one of their race guns which was fantastic.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »

I agree C&S would be a great choice.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 10:58:48 AM »
I wonder if Remington uses anyone already…it might be the same people. Also, Dan Cox said that they were centrally located in the US. Food for thought.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 11:02:33 AM »

Yeah, "centrally located" is kind of vague...  And largely unimportant.  Do I care if I am shipping my gun to Nevada or to Tennesee?  Not really.  They are supposed to go overnight either way.  Interesting that he would point out that they were centrally located as if we were going to drive there...   ;)
Duane (DDGator)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 03:07:59 PM »
I posted the lead to this thread on the ongoing Rohrbaugh thread on the Seecamp Forum.  For the benefit of those who are unhappy with their R9's, I also offered to buy the first 3 reasonably functioning R9's offered to me for $500 each.  Doubt there would be any takers!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »
Remington, and all gun manufacturers, want a trouble free gun. If they need repairs, it gets expensive. If Remington had to ship the Rohrbaughs R9s to Cylinder and Slide - "Whoa daddy" , that a big ticket repair. Usually a gun has a problem in 'one area', but I think Rohrbaughs are mystery guns. From what I have read, the R-brothers did a lot of retro work to fine tune an R9.

I am not knocking an R9, but guessing trouble shooting by Cylinder and slide would be $$$ expensive.

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »
I cannot see why Bill Laughridge might take on the task of providing warranty service for Rohrbaugh or Remington Arms. He already runs an extended backlog doing custom work and building very fine pistols. I have had work done by C&S and it is absolutely outstanding, but it did take SEVERAL weeks. They would be more than capable of working on the R9 and more than likely would have some great ideas on fine tuning them after analyzing the engineering that went into their design, but it would probably be a poor business decision for him to take on this particular headache and additional work. Remington is not known for spending lavishly of late. Would be nice though to think that he and his smith's would take a look at the R9 and come up with a game plan for any changes that might be made in the future.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »
Men, when I suggested C & S, even though they would do a great job, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek because of the "centrally located" reference.

Let's face it for Josh's and Bob's sake, anything would be better than what they have now

Offline saltz1979

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 07:19:54 AM »
Why don't they just hire Eric and Carl to do the repair work on a subcontract basis?

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 09:19:27 AM »
I do not think that either would have any interest. I believe from what I have read they had their own problems which likely was the last straw from them in the business. You know who might be a great fit? Wilson. They are expanding their facilities and had some sort of previous relationship with Rohrbaugh. They are in Montana, that is sort of centrally located I guess although being way up north. They are also opening a facility in Connecticut. They certainly have the facilities and machinery and talent to take on the task. Would be a great choice, yes too wishful thinking.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
The R9 Covert (I have one) was a standard R9 sent to Wilson for it's proprietery finish and tuning, the sold at a premum price.  Wilson Combat should have some expertise in the firearm, but the question then would be, do they have the interest?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
I think one criteria that the Shops that Remington is dealing with is the number of "in spec parts" that will be available for use in the repair.

I have sent a few guns back to Smith and Ruger for repair and I am amazed at what all they do replace.  Look at Josh's Solo, new barrel, extractor , springs, and sear.  This is how repair works.  Replacing parts that might be bad is cheaper than replacing one part, reassembling the pistol, and test firing and going back and disassembling again and replacing something else and back to the test range. 

How many parts are available?  Also a lot of manufacturers literally end up with barrels of out of spec parts in their storerooms.  Who knows what is good and what is not.  It puts the repair station in a bad situation.

It could be impossible without a "running factory" support.  JMO

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »

There are some parts...  I suspect that guns that cannot be fixed when parts run out will be replaced with comparable Remington guns.   :o
Duane (DDGator)

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 12:37:14 PM »

If this rumor is true and parts are available, Robar is also a possibility to do R9 warranty work.