Author Topic: Do you still carry this gun?  (Read 6685 times)

Offline Douglas

• Expert
Do you still carry this gun?
« on: November 23, 2022, 12:15:29 AM »
Hi all,

Been here forever. Still check in on occasion to see what's up in the Rohrbaugh world.

I have a simple question.

Do you still carry an R9 daily?

At the time, it was the smallest 9mm ever. Now, other options exist. But that doesn't change the size of the gun in your pocket.

At the time, parts were cheap and easy to come by, and there was true factory service. Now, less so. But that doesn't change the reliability of the well maintained gun in your pocket.

At the time, Rohrbaughs were rare, but not unobtainable. Now they may be curiosities.

So, with these few, and you may think of other, questions in mind, do you still carry your R9 on a daily basis, or is it now a gun that lives in the safe as a collectible example of high-tech, forward-thinking engineering?

Thank you.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
Re: Do you still carry this gun?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 12:36:24 AM »
Perhaps I can expand.

Our geographic situation has changed. A small gun, in the pocket always, may be the order of the day forever more.

I have, and love, J-frames, but flat semi-autos carry more easily.

I have a G-43, but carry it IWB. I started shopping Ruger LCPs, but then (of course) said to myself, "Just carry your R9S."

Thus, the question.

I always had a thing or two about the R9 that gave me pause, but nothing there that would be answered by an LCP.

In 2022, is carrying this gun the equivalent of carrying a Colt SAA, Walther P-38, or Colt Pocket Hammerless?

It will work. It is effective. But you don't need to subject one to daily abuse, and it isn't wise to do so.

Has the R9 become a collectible; to own one is amazing, to carry one is absurd?

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 09:14:25 AM »
Since moving in 2015 to the very safe Amelia Island, FL I have been remiss in daily carry.  When I do carry here, it is one of my R9’s or a Seecamp .32.  When visiting Jacksonville, a notoriously dangerous city, I carry a Sig P365 with a 12 round mag and a spare 15 rounder since in that environment a “get off of me” gun makes little sense.  The Rohrbaugh R9 properly cared for and appropriately used is still a world-class carry piece IMO.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 10:59:45 AM »
I also carry a Glock 43 and have recently purchased a 9 round mag from Shield Arms.

https://shieldarms.com/z9

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 02:20:35 PM »
I also carry a Glock 43 and have recently purchased a 9 round mag from Shield Arms.

https://shieldarms.com/z9

Interesting. Did you swap out the mag catch as well?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 05:28:12 PM »
No, I did not but that sounds like a good idea. However, it appears that the factory mag catch works fine with the Shield magazine.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 05:37:38 PM by tracker »

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 06:40:58 PM »
Wondering if there's a Catch-22 of the factory polymer mag catch becoming worn by the steel magazines, or the upgraded mag catch wearing on normal polymer magazines.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 07:15:18 PM »
I don't know but matching similar surface interfacing materials makes sense.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 11:31:25 AM »
Douglas and Tracker, you guys got me interested as well.  I don't even have a small frame Glock (Do have a 80% just in case).  However, they do explain why they recommend you changing the mag catch here:  https://shieldarms.com/s15-talk-mag-catches

Back to the R9.  It is my daily carry.  In situations where I am going outside my normal areas I do choose to carry a G-19 or a Kimber Pro Carry in addition.  Both provide me with a little extra insurance.  I will open carry a G-20C when going into the woods, but the R9 is still in the pocket.

The R9 does exactly what it did when I first got it, time has not diminished it's usefulness to me, even with other newer options.

Not worried about breakage, things happen and I will figure out how to repair as needed.  They seem to be robust enough to last forever with the limited number of rounds I put through it.  I very rarely have to repair a broken part on any of my firearms, even the higher use ones.  I've got guns with many thousands of rounds down the pipe that still tick along just fine.

May have lost one of my R9s' recently as herself asked me to let her 'look' at the spare, LOL.  Next range day, the one with sights may end up being a purse gun :(

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 11:46:33 AM »
Thank you, Mike. Unfortunately, the Z9 steel mag catch for the G43 is out of stock. I will order one when available.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 11:49:37 AM by tracker »

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 02:16:07 AM »
Great stuff Mike! Thanks.

So the answer is yes, just as taught in Glock Armorer School. Always plastic against plastic, metal against metal.

If you're going to use metal magazines, you should use the metal magazine catch, and not go back to polymer magazines.

If you're going to keep the polymer magazine catch, you should stick with polymer magazines and forget about switching to steel magazines.

Offline JMB109

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 01:33:10 PM »
 I picked up my R9 in December 2021 and have been carrying it pretty regularly since. I always have my Seecamp 380, sometimes I carry it as a primary, but it usually is carried as a BUG to my R9. I have a P365 that I don't carry very often, I like that the R9 is a little smaller and lighter to carry.

Offline coyote

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 03:38:38 PM »
YES, daily (its on me now)

the rohrbaugh is still the smallest, lightest, most powerful, highest quality handgun i've found

i've considered newest handguns like the P365, but empty it weighs around 5oz more, and then add the weight of the additional rounds (besides, i'm not a huge fan of tupperware firearms)

the diamondback db9 is close in size/weight but feels way too cheesy to instill confidence

on rare occasions in really hot weather i do prefer a smith 340PD/342PD because it more comfortable when carried on my ankle, but i like the flatness, smooth action, and two extra rds the R9 offers when in pocket or on belt

if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2023, 08:24:26 AM »
I have never mastered the art of effectively shooting a R9. I am a terrible shot with it. I have tried everything...nothing helps. But, I love the fit, finish & style of these guns. At one point, I owned 16 of them. I now own just a new one that sits happily in my safe and gets adored now and then by me and my friends. I never carried a R9, but understand why many of you do. I have carried many guns. I broke all my records with carrying an Sig Sauer P938 Legion 9mm for over 3 years! A beautiful gun! Just sold it. Until I decide what to carry next long term, I am carrying a Kahr CM9 9mm. I have owned this gun for many years. Carried it, shot it...love it. I keep going back to it. It is a pleasure to shoot and extremely accurate. Check it out.

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/cm9-cm9093/
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2023, 01:43:18 PM »

Good lord you had a lot of R9’s! That is way cool.

I had two of them, not at the same time. I had a early one, sold it and bought the one I have now. I really love this pistol and I do carry it from time to time.
This one has no sights, love it!
If the bros were still making them, I’m sure I’d have another by now.