Author Topic: Covert? On Gunbroker  (Read 2675 times)

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Covert? On Gunbroker
« on: December 01, 2022, 07:46:03 AM »
This is listed as a "Covert."  It doesn't say Covert on the slide and it has the same grips as my Special Forces. What was the serial number range on the Special Forces?

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/959507054

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Covert? On Gunbroker
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 10:00:00 AM »
The “Covert”  was a standard R9 bought in bulk by a Texas dealer, sent to Wilson Combat for tuning and it’s black coating, then marketed.  I owned one, which for some reason gave me loads of trouble until it finally ate the slide retainer pin and destroyed a rail.  It had “COVERT” prominently on the slide.  I believe this is simply an R9 Stealth.  I have one of those also, No. 47xx, my favorite EDC.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 10:08:13 AM »
The seller is new to GB and not rated as of yet.  Buyer beware.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:44:38 AM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 12:39:04 PM »
The Stealth's hammer, trigger, and other parts are not coated like this one.

I think that if it was a Special Forces it would be marked on the case envelope and I have never seen a Special Forces with that high of a serial number.

My guess it is an after market coating job.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 12:40:00 PM »
It looks like it has all black hardware unlike a stealth.

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 12:42:47 PM »
The seller just texted me a pic of Covert on the gun.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 12:45:46 PM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 01:53:51 PM »

If you blow up picture #2 you can easily see it.

We wouldn't make very good Detectives I guess.    :-[

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 04:45:28 PM »
One bid, for the same as the buy-it-now price.  Why did the bidder not just buy it and close the auction??  Strange.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 09:12:16 AM »
“Covert” darn hard to see on my IPAD, but it is surely there.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 09:17:33 AM »
Based on the above, turns out I have a “Special Forces” rather than a “Stealth”.  Can someone please detail the differences between this two version?
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 11:01:41 AM »
Special Forces is a factory gun that has all black hardware/barrel including black magazines. I think many SFs also had Hogue Executive grips with checkering, but not all.

The Covert is a factory standard two-tone that was bought by a third party and sent to Wilson for a similar all black look and then sold as a Covert. Most of the Coverts I have seen have the coating scraped off the top of the barrel were it interacts with the slide.

I've never even racked the slide of my SF because I was worried about scratching the barrel coating.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 11:04:51 AM by PhilZ »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 11:25:55 AM »
Thanks!  And the “Stealth” is just a black R9 but without matching black barrel, trigger, etc.?
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 11:29:03 AM »
Thanks!  And the “Stealth” is just a black R9 but without matching black barrel, trigger, etc.?

No, a Stealth is just a standard model with the slide coated black.

The hammer, trigger, barrel, mag catch, and magazines still have the standard stainless finish.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 05:55:00 PM »
This is listed as a "Covert."  It doesn't say Covert on the slide and it has the same grips as my Special Forces. What was the serial number range on the Special Forces?

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/959507054

Actually, Phil, if you zoom in on one of the photographs of the right side of the gun above Rohrbaugh, you can see the engraved word "COVERT" on the slide. It is tough to see but it is there. These were standard R9 pistols that were upgraded by Wilson Combat. We, Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp, never made a COVERT model. This was an aftermarket design, and pretty nicely done at that.

Our Special Forces models were all black also, but the slide was not engraved with that name. We just had Rohrbaugh R9 on our slide. I believe the serial numbers of the SF guns were earlier, but I can not quite remember the actual numbers at this time, I apologize for my memory good Sir.

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 05:59:48 PM »
Wow. . . . I see this gun just sold. That was fast! 
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.