Author Topic: R9 Refinishing Question  (Read 3106 times)

Offline deerhunter75

R9 Refinishing Question
« on: July 28, 2023, 03:24:32 PM »
Been awhile since I've checked out this forum.  I have a stainless slide version of the R9 that I would like to get refinished in black.  So my question is which black finish is best for such a finely fitted firearm and will not affect reliability or cause any other negative issues?  I am considering nitride, DLC or Black-T rather than cerakote.  Had a Seecamp done in Black-T over 20 years ago and that has held up well, but I know there are newer options.  How was the Stealth model finished?  Should I consider having both the slide and barrel done or just the slide?  Anything else I should know?  Thanks

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: R9 Refinishing Question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 09:59:15 AM »
I can’t help you with this question, but Eric Rohrbaugh checks in frequently and will, as usual, be happy to help.  I, too, prefer black pistols.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 07:44:12 PM »
Good evening deerhunter,

In reference to black coatings on the R9, we used a company named H&M Blacknitride+ for all stainless parts coated black. Very nice people to work with and the layer is thin and robust. We never had to worry about thick with them, as you do with Ceracoat. We tried Ceracoat once for the desert storm tan R9s we made. I personally did the coating in-house and was not a fan of it as each slide had added thickness causing me to hand-lap each slide to the assigned frame. We didn't make many Coyote models due to the extra work involved. Anyway, I'm sorry to say I'm not up on the new coatings offered today so, unfortunately, I can't help out with those. All I can say is that when we would call them, Shade McMillian was always pleasant and extremely helpful.

I hope this little bit of information can help in your choice of treatment for the slide.

Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline deerhunter75

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 06:40:18 PM »
Eric

Thanks so much for your response and the information.  Sounds like nitride is the way to go as it's proven on the platform. 

I actually own one of the Coyote models as well.  Picked it up used like new years many years ago.  Guess that puts me in an exclusive club!

Thanks again