Author Topic: Front sight  (Read 2852 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Front sight
« on: August 14, 2023, 09:00:02 AM »
The tiny “belly guns” used at bad breath distances (ie. Early R9’s and all Seecamp pistols) had no front sights at being unnecessary and possibly disadvantageous due to snagging during the draw.  Now I am a point/shoot believer for these tiny guns (a fan of Rex Applegate’s “Bullseyes Don’t Shoot Back”), but have come to value the front sight on my R9 EDC to the point that I put a dab of iridescent yellow paint on it.  Why?…for me at least it helps me, even from a low hold with eyes on the target, to make sure that tiny piece is centered on a target at 5, 7, or longer yardage.  I may hold too high or too low, but my direction remains center mass.  Works for me.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: Front sight
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 10:32:55 AM »
Sounds like you are using in in a similar concept to a shotgun front bead. 

Solid way to practice and keep your skills up IMHO.

Spending the time to find out what works for you is probably the best (and least accepted) method in a world where internet/youtube experts have all the answers and absolute perfect technique for everyone (or think they do). :o

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Front sight
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 08:24:05 AM »
Mike, you are so right!  I do enjoy shooting sporting clays, and had not realized the similarities involved.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis