Author Topic: WTB black guide rod for R9 Special Forces  (Read 3167 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
WTB black guide rod for R9 Special Forces
« on: January 14, 2023, 02:04:26 PM »
Lost mine at the range when the wheel nut came off and released the captive spring….not many around just hoping as this is for ol’ 4700 sold to me by Eric who hand assembled it initially for a friend.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: WTB black guide rod for R9 Special Forces
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 07:18:51 PM »
I made that one special for a good friend of mine. Let me look in some boxes and see if I even have a black recoil system laying around somewhere. I'll get back to you after I spend the time in my storage area. Things have a way of popping up there somehow. . . . . but a black one, ugh. . . . . . we'll see what we can do for ya.

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 07:34:29 AM »
Thanks Eric..  That is indeed the iconic 4700. It just looks weird with a silver guide rod, so if all else fails can you suggest where I might have it coated?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 05:04:56 PM »
Well, I got home early from work today and gave a decent look about for a black recoil system for R4700. Unfortunately, I came up with nothing. . . . . yet.
I'm certain I have at least one black one around somewhere, even if it's just the parts. . . . I just need more time to keep looking.
On your suggestion, the place that did our Black Nitride coating for the R9 Slides and Barrels and other parts, including the recoil system parts was:

H&M Metal Processing 1414 Kenmore Blvd, Akron, Ohio 44314 T (330) 745-3075

I have the regular recoil system in untreated stainless steel form.

You mentioned the round piece worked its way off, do you have all of the parts still or did they get lost?
If you need the inner recoil spring, I believe I have a number of those still around in a plastic bag.

ECR
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 07:44:57 AM »
I have all the parts except the guide rod.  This is the one I sent back to you to have the nut (wheel) put back on, but it came off again after a couple or range sessions.  I replaced it myself that time with a smidge of loctite but the 3rd time after about 4 rounds I believe it went downrange because it was not in the pistol when I disassembled.  Any help appreciated.  I will check with H&M but need the guide rod itself.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 08:19:48 PM »
Guide rods I have around, but they are silver, not black. If you like, I can mail one to you and if you can get it treated black, you'll be back in business!  Let me know via PM eMail here.

Eric

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 08:16:15 AM »
Thanks Eric.  PM sent.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis