Author Topic: Pistol Braces on large format handguns.  (Read 227 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

  • Grand Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 743
  • Hello from Texas
Pistol Braces on large format handguns.
« on: January 17, 2023, 11:53:02 PM »
As many know the BATFE has decided that having a stabilizing brace on a pistol constitutes a short barreled rifle and thus is restricted and regulated under the law.

They applied this ruling Monday and owners of said weapons have 4 months to rectify the issue or face severe consequences if caught.

It is my understanding:

You can destroy the stabilizing brace and bring the weapon to rifle standards or back to normal pistol standards.  Possession of the parts after the grace period is considered constructive intent and you can face the same $250,000 fine and 10 years in club fed as you would with an illegal firearm.

Or you can take advantage of a fee free registration period of the said firearm as a SBR.

This website is where you go to register your braced pistol.

If you don't have an account, you will need to set one up.

Part of me thinks this will not hold up to any court challenge, however another part of me thinks get the registration done while I can get it without a $200 tax on each gun.

I have filled out the forms for a number of my braced handguns over the past few days, as an individual (those on my trust don't want their photos and fingerprints given to the ATF, didn't have to a few years back).  They have made the system a bit hard to do, hopefully not intentionally.  I wanted to get it done early and hopefully have my stamp and be righteous with the law as quickly as possible.

My advice is take your time, don't get frustrated, and you will figure it out. If it keeps rejecting you on a particular page for incompleteness, look for other 'buttons' around that may allow you to edit your choices and find those hidden from your initial view.

This registration is different from others I have done.  They actually need photos of the serialized part.  Hopefully that means we can forgo the normal engraving requirement.

They will need a passport photo, but you can do that with your cell phone.  They need fingerprints, I did not have them electronically available and have always mailed in a fingerprint card later when requested.  Got a message out to the experts there asking about this.  I've got fingerprint cards laying around I can immediately send in, like the normal procedure entailed. (Not sure if they changed the requirement, but you used to be able to do them yourself with a kit off amazon.)

If you try and get stuck, hit me up and maybe I can tell you how I got past the issue. 

I will try and keep you guys updated on the process.