Author Topic: Ounce Pistols  (Read 3781 times)

Online tracker

• Grand Master

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Ounce Pistols
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 08:59:19 AM »
Ugly little beast!  The “directions” and pics are a bit confusion to this old guy, and a caliber would be nice to know.  Pic looks like .22LR?  I believe I will pass on this novelty.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 10:43:52 AM »
The last video shows it is a 10 shot .22LR.

Too gimmicky for me to take seriously.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 11:19:32 AM »
Here is the inventor of the Ounce and why he developed it. I have a reservation about carrying a rimfire cartridge for reliability reasons. However, the Mossad and  El Al Air Marshals carry a Beretta 22 LR and use it with great effectiveness.

https://ounceoz.com/about-

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 06:01:57 PM »
Ruger LCP is only two ounces more and I would trust a Critical
Defense 380 over a 22LR

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 07:32:30 PM »
I agree with you that a .380 is far superior to .22 LR for self defense. However, I would not use Hornady ammo in any striker fired carry pistol. I had some light strikes with their ammo in my R9. When I called them the production manager said that they would obtain their primers from any available source. This would include foreign primers which can be very hard; unlike Federal and Winchester who make their own.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 07:51:05 AM »

Hmmm.  I think I would rather have an NAA mini-revolver if I thought .22 was enough... 

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 08:59:14 AM »
I agree with you that a .380 is far superior to .22 LR for self defense. However, I would not use Hornady ammo in any striker fired carry pistol. I had some light strikes with their ammo in my R9. When I called them the production manager said that they would obtain their primers from any available source. This would include foreign primers which can be very hard; unlike Federal and Winchester who make their own.

In my experience, striker fired pistols hit the primer with a lot more force than hammer fired pistols.  That is why for small pocket carry pistols I think that striker fired ones are much more reliable and that is what I carry.

Hammer fired small pistols like the R9 and the Seecamps are prone to light strikes.  You just do not hear about this happening with strker fired small pistols.  I have never had an occurance of my R9 not firing on the first pull of the trigger but I have seen primers that are barely dented and went off.  The same with Seecamps.

After handloading nearly everything that I have shot in over 35 years, I can say that I have never seen a "Hard Primer".  The problem with the round not firing has always been a problem with the seating of the primer.  Either the primer pocket is a little undersized or the primer cup is a little over sized and the primer does not get seated clear to the bottom of the pocket and the anvil is not touching the case head. 

If you have had a round that does not fire on the first trigger pull but will go on the second, this is the problem.  On the first hammer drop the primer is driven down to the proper position so it fires on the second pull.  In my experience, strker fired pistols hit hard enough to drive the primer in and fire it on the first pull.

Second strike capability for a DAO pistol is brought up a lot.  If your striker fired pistol does not go off on the first pull, you better be jacking another round in the chamber.

JMO
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 09:21:33 AM by MRC »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 09:03:55 AM »
Good explanation MRC, thanks!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 11:49:33 AM »
Thanks for the info. My information on hard primers came from another expert: well known pistol smith Teddy Jacobson. I rather doubt that Hornady's machines do not seat a primer properly. In any case I will not buy any more Hornady ammo because of the problems I had with them in the R9.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 12:04:17 PM »
Thanks for the info. My information on hard primers came from another expert: well known pistol smith Teddy Jacobson. I rather doubt that Hornady's machines do not seat a primer properly. In any case I will not buy any more Hornady ammo because of the problems I had with them in the R9.

I happens a lot more than you think.  Starline had a run of 32 ACP brass which I bought some and I had to double seat the primer to get them to work in a Seecamp.  I ended up using at least double the force to set them deep enough.

Underwood, which produces quality custom ammo, ran a bunch of the same brass and it would not run in most of the Seecamps.  If you reset the primer manually it would fire every time.

The European primers are harder but it only shows up in small hammer fired pistols that I have heard of.  A slightly harder primer cup will also seat harder.

There is a trade-off in design, increase the main spring and the trigger gets stiffer.  I am amazed the the R9 trigger fires as good as they do with as light a trigger as they have.

The Seecamps hammer is small and does not weigh very much.  There you end up with a 12 ounce pistol with an 11 pound trigger.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 09:59:07 AM »
Interesting.  The LR wins on cost but I am not sure that one can discount the effect of expansion in gelatin noted for the magnum round.  My 6+1 9mm R9 is clearly my carry choice, although my LWS .32 is sometimes the best option here in Florida due to dress requirements.  I would note that the S&W M&P 340 in 38/357 has a less than 2” barrel, is in the same format as the 22’s featured here, weighs 13.8 oz (scandium), and has a tritium front sight, but of course with fewer rounds in the cylinder.  I guess it is, as always, a matter of “horses for courses”.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 11:10:01 PM »
As you know this was only a comparison between the .22 LR and the .22 Magnum, not other calibers or carry weapons.