Author Topic: Feeling That Urge Again  (Read 1896 times)

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
  • Guns, Knives, and Liquor
Feeling That Urge Again
« on: February 25, 2023, 05:16:38 PM »
So, as some of you may remember I bought a NIB Stealth a while back.  And it was everything I had expected, in the best possible way.  And this group couldn't have been more helpful.  But I got cold feet after realizing that no one was doing the warranty work anymore on these, and that parts were scarce.  So I panicked and sold it at just about what I had paid for it...and have regretted it ever since.

Starting to take a peek back at the Rohrbaugh market again.  Really, really want to own one again, but the same fear creeps in.  Namely, that I'll pay over $1K for a pistol with really no guarantee that, should some malfunction pop up, I'd ever be able to get it fixed. Or, for that matter, be able to purchase spare mags, mag springs, etc.

So, am I crazy?  Or am I completely correct, and you guys here are just far braver than I?

Those who dream of the banquet, wake to lamentation and sorrow.
Those who dream of lamentation and sorrow wake to join the hunt.
               —The Wisdom of Laotse, 236

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Re: Feeling That Urge Again
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 09:24:08 PM »
Buy a Stealth and put another one in the safe for parts.  :)

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 10:07:23 PM »
Buy a Stealth and put another one in the safe for parts.  :)

I'm ashamed to admit that the thought had crossed my mind.  But doubling the price of entry? :-\

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 07:21:13 PM »
Okay...no turning back now.  Just placed the winning bid on a barely used R9 on gunbroker....Serial Number R6611.  Let's hope it's a keeper.  Now the search will begin for spare magazines, spare parts, etc. 

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 10:32:06 PM »
R6611. . . . . At least you have peace of mind knowing that all of the updates are built into that R9.

It will be fine.

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 11:21:14 PM »
R6611. . . . . At least you have peace of mind knowing that all of the updates are built into that R9.

It will be fine.

Regards,

Eric R.

Thanks much, Eric.  I'm excited to get it out to the range.

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 04:10:49 PM »
just took delivery of the Rohrbaugh.  I had considered taking it directly to the range, but I decided to get it home and make sure that everything looked okay before shooting it.

I'm glad I did, because--although it appears to have been shot very little--it was a bit dirty and very dry.  So I gave it a good cleaning with Eezox, put some Slip 2000 on the rails, and gave everything a good looking over.  Everything was, as expected, absolutely top notch in terms of fit and finish.  Great trigger, too.

I hope to get it out to the range early next week, and will report back once I do.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 09:55:55 AM »
I also use EEZOX, but have been informed that it has some kind of chemical reaction with aluminum.  Any thoughts on its use on the aluminum-framed R9?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 10:34:39 PM »
I also use EEZOX, but have been informed that it has some kind of chemical reaction with aluminum.  Any thoughts on its use on the aluminum-framed R9?

Interesting. I use EEZOX on all my guns, and had never thought of the potential for damage to any of the guns.  I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say, because I also use it on my Airweight Taurus revolver and Kimber EVO, both of which have aluminum frames. Oh, and on my Remington RM380, too, but that has been hard chromed, so it's probably impervious anyway.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 08:17:29 AM »

Well, how did the R 9 perform?

I use a bit of shooters grease, one recommended by Rhorbaugh back in the day. I use Eezox on knives and other pistols, not so much on my R9.

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 03:29:07 PM »

Well, how did the R 9 perform?

I use a bit of shooters grease, one recommended by Rhorbaugh back in the day. I use Eezox on knives and other pistols, not so much on my R9.

It has proven to be extremely picky with regard to ammo so far.  The only round that consistently cycles without failure is Federal HST.  I've got a few more ammo selections on the way and will try to get it out for a third try next week...I'm hoping that I can get at least one or two other ammo choices to cycle in it with consistency, as I'm just not very comfortable with its reliability so far.

And, by the way, I use Slip 2000 on the rails of the R9, as I do with all my other pistols.  Very slick, and seems to keep guns well-lubricated in between range visits. 

Oh, and I've got my range visits written up and posted in that section of the forum, if you care to take a look.