Author Topic: Anyone tried other than recommended ammo in the R9? And what were you results?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
In my R9's, the very rare times I've shot them it's always been with 115gr. WWB or 124gr. standard pressure Gold Dots.

I was thinking of trying out some of Underwoods new "Platinum Defenders" in standard pressure in 68gr. and 90gr. variation. I'm wondering what other ammo R9 shooters have used in their pistols and what were the reliability and accuracy results.

I think I have heard people use other ammo than WWB and Gold Dots with okay results.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 03:18:14 AM by PsychoSword »

Offline boscobarbell

• Sharpshooter
  • Guns, Knives, and Liquor
Oddly enough, my R9 would't feed Gold Dots at all.  But it loved Federal HST and ARX Inceptor ammo, both of which are great choices for a little 9mm.

If I jump back into R9 ownership, I'd definitely give the Underwood ammo a try.  I load it in most of my other pistol, and it is both reliable and easy to purchase from the Underwood website.  As a matter of fact, my RM380, currently on my waist, is loaded with it.
Those who dream of the banquet, wake to lamentation and sorrow.
Those who dream of lamentation and sorrow wake to join the hunt.
               —The Wisdom of Laotse, 236

Offline Groundhog34

I have had 100% reliability with Winchester 115 silver tips.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Silvertips were Eric's original recommendation but HST and Gold Dots also came into the picture.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
I carry God Dot 124JHP in my R9 at this point with no issues at all.

Just sayin'.      ;)

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
As do I.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master

At this moment in time my R9 is fully loaded with Silvertips, they work well, as does the Gold Dots. I believe that is all I tried, it goes bang, I hit the target I’m not hurting the pistol.

Darn, this pistol is so well made, I just like having it.
I say darn because I wish they were still made.